Trouble selling rat rods???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes you got to do , what you got to do. Don"t worry about the $ . I had a small problem last year and had to see a doctor. Cost me 5000 $$

I rarely planned to sell anythign i sold

I have had alot of stuff listed and went through the process so i know the routine enough that when someon e comes up tp me and surprises me with an interest in somehting I know i'll be planning on selling later i shoot him a price and dont hesitate to take his money

because that guy is really really really hard to find
in most cases he finds you and you might just have that one shot.}I figgure i dont have to sell one to everyone like ol mr fod. I just need to sell one to the right guy. always be ready for that guy

Before you dump money into something, make sure it's a car that will sell good. Those AD trucks and Willys are great for projects but don't sell well IMHO. Now you are going to start another AD?
I still make money on cars but not by working on them or dumping money/time into one. I basically buy and sell project cars, or strip them for parts.

When I don't want to sell, it seems like everybody and his brother wants what I have. When I do want to sell, whether it's because I need some money for something else I want/need or if I'm just tired of something, it seems like everybody wants to either low ball you or are not interested. I've made a little on a few things, mostly though, I've sold or traded for less than what I had in them. I always tend to go for the odd, different style stuff, because I like having the only one around. When there is a bunch more that start showing up like mine, I tend to move on toward something different again.

I am not sure about the U.S. but so far in what I have seen in Canada...some rat rods are still bringing a premium dollar...I have had and built several over the last 5 -6 years and have had no trouble selling any of them and at least doubling my investment....good cars will sell themselves and in my case I seem to have buyers before I am willing to sell...but I do agree that building popular cars seem to be easier to sell and for more money..imo

So I made some changes in my life this summer...I started out with a garage full of projects...

Can anybody share any insight into this ???

MikeC

Mike . A long time ago I saw a cartoon in a paper where it shows a mens clothes salesman selling a suit to a man standing in front of a mirror and the suit fits perfectly , however a reflection from another mirror shows the salesman has a handful of the back of the suit in his hand in bunch thus giving the appearance of a perfect fit .......

The lesson I got from this is that of course one needs to buy at a good price and I prefer close, but non-running vehicles , I clean them up and GET THEM RUNNING and safe with as little $ as possible.

Then you grab the buyer by the back of the suit and put the idea in his/her head what it can be with a " little" more work it can be "cherry" PLUS they can drive it now while working on it . I also offer my ideas on what should be done and in what order often doing the work for a paycheck that I other wise would be paying for out of pocket and using that money for MY project . I have only lost money this way once when I took a car back for non payment [ mutual agreement ]

My 2 cents
Oldog

Interesting info, and a good read guys!

I have been buying, fixing and selling cars (Mazda Miatas since I knew them and ended up with a lot of parts) on craigslist for the last 8 years, and made enough to pay the bills for a very modest lifestyle. Yes, you have to deal with idiots and low ballers and more idiots, but once in a while you get "that guy" or meet some good people. I would say 1/3 or less, approximately. I've learned to filter out the idiots by how they respond to the ad, but not always, and NEVER give out my address or phone # until I am fairly sure they are serious. Made all the mistakes one can, and learned from them, or at least I hope so!!!

In the last year, things seem to have petered out, though (for the Miata at least). It has become harder to find decent cars to flip, and even harder to find a buyer at a profit. There also seem to be a lot more people doing this, so a good buy gets snatched up pretty quick, while junk is always available because no one with half a brain is foolish enough to buy it! I have a friend who only buys the cheap stuff and parts it out or recycles what he can.

I wonder if a For Sale sign at a major car show would have any better results? After all, there may be some people "with assets" (good phrase!) roaming around and perhaps looking for something to put in their garage. You have said person and the car right there, face to face, and like car dealers prey upon, that moment of impulse. Now whether or not they have cash in hand (never take a check!) is a whole other story...

The thing I have found about working on other people's cars is that they expect miracles and some sort of warranty. Not only do they NOT understand how cars work, or what you fixed, but there is always the idiot that thinks a couple hundred bucks is going to make his POS into a show car. I won't work on someone else's car unless they have some basic knowledge and only want someone else to do it because they don't have the time.

I've had lot of experience in buying and selling cars in my area. The style of hot rod that we build are usually driver quality at best in most peoples eyes and that doesn't bring much profit. I break even or make a few bucks selling my cars. Most in my area want perfect Chevelles or Camaros with perfect paint, so right off the bat I'm fighting a losing battle. Rat-rods or low buck hot rods are affordable but are a niche market in my educated/experienced opinion. I'm not sayin' that they don't get more attention at a car show or cruise nite (which ****es them off) but don't expect too much unless you find that right buyer. The old guys that have money buy perfect muscle cars or street rods and look down on rat rods ( not everywhere, but most shows). This is just the experience I've had in the last 10-12 years, maybe its different where you guys are.

I know quite a few peeps in the car building biz & it takes a special kinda kat to turn a profit & make a living at it. I'm not saying it's impossible but all I'm sayin' is... it ain't that easy. It's hard keeping up with exactly what you've spent, getting clients & lots of other factors & I tip my hat to anyone who can & does it for a living! I on the other hand have never made more money than I spent when I sold a car but I've never really built one to flip & typically build a car the way I want it & realize I'll probably have to drive that car until I kikk the bucket or take a loss & sometimes a big one! That will be up to my heirs & like the old saying goes... I just hope my wife doesn't sell my cars for what I told her I spent on them... haha!!! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

So I made some changes in my life this summer...I started out with a garage full of projects...
1) I had a totally rebuilt (with patina) 1947 Willys Jeep, had over $7,000.00 into it...I got $4,200.00 for it..
2) Had a 1953 Chevy truck kinda ole school had almost $3,000.00 into it...I got $1800.00 for it...
\3) lastly a 1962/62 Willys pickup truck on a 1991 S10 chassis had way over $2,500.00 in it...I got $1400.00 for..
So I do the math...I got in my pocket a total of $7,400.00 but I spent like $12,500.00 on all the projects...is a net loss of $5,100.00 a normal loss on vintage vehicles these days???...
I was really hoping to just break even on the parts...take a loss on my labor as a "something I do in my spare time" type thing...
Can anybody share any insight into this ???

MikeC

Why do you want to be any different than the rest of us Mike ?????

I usually get the cash I spent back but the labor is free.

Pretty much in any hobby that's about all one can expect. I don't think that's a bad thing either. I think if you keep your feet on the ground about the true value of your hobby you will enjoy it more.

Latest posts

Back