this is Howard Knapp

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got the seat last Friday

So I got the call last Friday the stock bench seat was done...$722.25 was the final tally...I just about choked...

before...

After....

another view...

still not really too pumped up to drive it....

I sat in the seat last weekend...I so claustrophobic it wasn't even funny...the steering wheel was right in my lap...no room at all inside this thing...in my eyes at least...

I was hoping for something similar to my daily driver S10 truck...not even close...

As a guy at work said to me...."it is an old truck....what did you think it was gonna be???"...

MikeC

So I got the call last Friday the stock bench seat was done...$722.25 was the final tally...I just about choked...

before...

After....

another view...

still not really too pumped up to drive it....

I sat in the seat last weekend...I so claustrophobic it wasn't even funny...the steering wheel was right in my lap...no room at all inside this thing...in my eyes at least...

I was hoping for something similar to my daily driver S10 truck...not even close...

As a guy at work said to me...."it is an old truck....what did you think it was gonna be???"...

MikeC

$722.25 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

^^X2

Did he tell you it was gonna be that high when you took it in?
Unless that is some exotic double throw down leather, he would've had a new shop bench when I let him keep it.
You know this is just my worthless opinion and you didn't ask for it but DAMN!!! :eek:[S:eek:

^^X2

Unless that is some exotic double throw down leather, he would've had a new shop bench when I let him keep it.
You know this is just my worthless opinion and you didn't ask for it but DAMN!!! :eek:[S:eek:

INDEED:eek:

^^X2

Did the upholster at least tell you where he hid the $350. worth of treasure in the seat:D

a lot of chin scratching going on here

Hi Rat rodders....

Been a long month...we got to the point of turning the key and hitting the starter on the floor....we have spark and we have fuel...the Howard Knapp just wont turn over fast enough for me...so what better way to fix a problem...throw more money at it....NAPA has rebuilt starters in stock...

before

after about $75.00 spent at NAPA

still nothing...

Battery came in a race car I bought..wasnt sure if it was up the task..so...I swapped it out too...that bill with a new gas cap was over $120.00.....

kinda funny....battery costs more than the starter did....hmmmmm

still no start...So I am at church 2 Sundays ago and I talking to a gear head there and he says...Mike you gotta check the compression now...so I did...and
#1 cylinder = 120 lbs :)
#2 cylinder = 115 lbs :)
#3 cylinder = 0 lbs :(
#4 cylinder = 0 lbs :(
#5 cylinder = 145 lbs :)
#6 cylinder = 30 lbs :(

So off with the head we go...took me about 2 hours...only needed a 7/16" wrench....9/16" wrench and a 3/4" socket and a breaker bar...

waiting patiently in my S10 daily driver (sorry kinda fuzzy)

I did spend sometime getting things cleaned up a little more...

Machine shop guy says about $500.00 to rebuild it...I didn't think that was too bad...then I got a call on Thursday...sorry...it needs al new valves and the 1 push-rod that was bent...he had to buy a set of 4....hmmmm....

still not sure what I am doing...but I know the more money you throw at these things...the better the end result will be...

not really looking forward to driving this thing at all....any takers???

MikeC

I've been following along here for a bit and here is my free advice...If you want daily driver creature comforts then go with the S10 and be like everyone else on the road. If you truly love old cars / trucks then continue to tinker with it. Looks like you've put a ton of blood sweat and tears into it already. Might be different for you but I get great enjoyment out of keeping 40, 50 60 year old technology going when 99% of the population would have thrown it away and crushed long ago. Looks like you have a great start to a cool truck there. If it truly bugs you that much then sell it to someone who will take the time to enjoy it. I know these set backs or hurdles if you will can really take the wind out of your sails. Good luck which ever you choose. [P

Good money after bad money

Hi Jfg455

I am not sure.....I need something to work on at night....I have ADD or ADHD or something like that...I have to stay busy at night...do I enjoy it....hmmm...not sure..I need to stay busy thats all I know....this smelly old truck keeps me busy for now...not sure what I will do once I get it running...I do know....this thing is a big huge old truck....and the cab is really really small...and the steering wheel is right in your face and your lap too...

So back to the task at hand.....spending money.....Was at the local NAPA machine shop today...$850.00 later....we had a whole lot of stuff going on...

All the spare parts....

A new gasket set too....

The head all wrapped in the back of my S10 daily driver...

All unwrapped....

Is thing clean or what???

So the Fel-Pro instructions say I need a gasket sealer on the top of the block and the top of the head gasket....

I have not had a push rod head off of a vehicle since 1980 when we were racing 250 cu in 6 cylinder Camaros at the local dirt track...

Does anybody know is this is true and also what sealer do I need to ask for at the NAPA store???

Dazed and confused in Mechanicville NY tonight...

MikeC

This is what I'd use.
Suggested Applications: Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications.
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...-copper-spray-a-gasket-hi-temp-sealant-detail
806972.jpg

I did as I told....bought some copper coat in a spray can....

Promptly wrecked the beautiful head gasket...called NAPA and they are telling me 3 to 5 days before it another one comes in...

I am so sick of this project....

Every time I work on it...something breaks....so sick of chasing my tail on this truck...

I am broke and all this thing does is cost me more money...cant spend one night in the shop with out a phone call or an email to buy more parts...

Anybody wanna buy this project???

I am so tired of it....

Don't know how you guys do this stuff....my head is soft from banging it into the side of this truck...

MikeC

still spending money here...

I got the head back on to the block...bolted all the other stuff back it too..

I was told by one of the professionals that I needed to make "guide pins" to get the head to sit on the block...went to the local hardware store with one of the head bolts...cut the heads off...

front pin shown here...

rear pin shown here...

oh yeah...here is the original brandy new head gasket I bought when they redid the head...I can wreck things really well too...cant I???

sitting on the engine stand...hanging out..waiting for another head gasket...

So after all this got done...I was reading the 1958 Chevy manual on how to adjust the valves....I have an exhaust valve on cylinder #1 that wont adjust so I am done...I don't want to bend anything else in this truck...

I bet half the nights I spend working on this truck...I break something and I end up on the Jim Carter truck parts site buying more parts...

Last part to break...throttle cable...sent away for a new throttle and choke cable too...

One of the mechanics has agreed to come and get this big ole pig and see if he can get it running...

Hoping someone wants this truck....I am tired of it...

any takers??

MikeC

Hoping someone wants this truck....I am tired of it...

any takers??

MikeC

put it in the for sale section...or list a price here. I'm sure we could help ease your pain.

As for breaking new thinks I can definitely relate to that. If it is a sensative part I will just buy 2 in advance...[cl

When I was hellbent on keeping the 235 in my '62 Bel Air, I blew it up 4 times. It has a healthy SBC now. You're not the only one who has experienced automotive frustration!

Latest posts

Back