Identify this alternator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Probably a silly question to most.
This came on my cummins 4bt. I assume it's a GM alternator.

It has 2 posts
1 large post marked BAT
1 smaller post marked R.
And a ground bolt.

Looking to figure out the proper way to wire it. It does not have any spade connectors on it.
I assume I need to get an external regulator/rectifier for it?
Let me know your thoughts.

The case looks like GM, but I can't identify what it is with the connection configuration. Hopefully someone else knows.

EDIT: Any chance there's another post on the other side of the BAT post, like this one?

DRA19020310(2).jpg

If so, it's a 22SI GM alternator. Unfortunately I can't find a good diagram, but maybe this will help 22SI Wiring Diagram Search

Also, do you know what voltage it would be based on what it was out of? Some were 24V, I believe.

Last edited:
The case looks like GM, but I can't identify what it is with the connection configuration. Hopefully someone else knows.

EDIT: Any chance there's another post on the other side of the BAT post, like this one?

DRA19020310(2).jpg

If so, it's a 22SI GM alternator. Unfortunately I can't find a good diagram, but maybe this will help 22SI Wiring Diagram Search

Also, do you know what voltage it would be based on what it was out of? Some were 24V, I believe.

There were no other obvious posts other then the 2. I'll take a closer lol tonight though.
Good call on the voltage!!
This very well could be 24 volts.
If I start the engine, can I put a multi meter on the ground and BAT post on the alternator to check? Or does power need to go through a regulator first to measure clean power?

Delco. All you have to have is the POS battery big lug and a ground. R post is for remote sensing, not required to make it work most of the time. If it doesn't charge, connect the R terminal to a 12vollt source switched by the ignition. They are internally regulated.
I just bought one yesterday for my semi, $200 bucks. Delco 24SI.

DRA19020310(2).jpg

Delco. All you have to have is the POS battery big lug and a ground. R post is for remote sensing, not required to make it work most of the time. If it doesn't charge, connect the R terminal to a 12vollt source switched by the ignition. They are internally regulated.
I just bought one yesterday for my semi, $200 bucks. Delco 24SI.

Winner winner!
There is/was a 3rd post marked I.
Appears it was unceremoniously removed for clearance on the oil filter.
Thanks for your help guys!

Latest posts

Back