Lincoln 140, what is max you can do with

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevo

Hey Guys I have a lincoln 140 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I was wondering what my limitations are with this. I figure it would be great for the body work/sheet metal work.

Is it strong enough to do shock mounts and brackets or 4 link brackets.

Let me know your thoughts on what you think this can handle.

I also have an old lincoln buzz box stick welder. Anyone still using these? Its what I learned to weld on as a kid.

I agree with Mr. Fear.

Don't even think about suspension, frame or steering work with that baby welder. And if you're talking coilover shocks, I'd say the same.

Nothing wrong with an old stick machine if it's hot enough and you know how to use it.

This type of welder is perfect for your bodywork and sheetmetal requirements. That's about where the capabilities end. While MIG welding can be entirely suitable for structural frame work, you need a lot more oomph to get it done. Typically, it's one amp per each .001 of material. If I'm stick welding some 1/4" coil over brackets onto a 3/16 wall thickness frame, I would be looking at some 7018 DCEP (new can or from the oven) at around 140 amps for the settings. As far as technique... I could write a book on that subject.

In my garage, I have a Miller XMT 350 with a 22A wire feeder. This is more than is needed for most people, but I can MIG, Stick, TIG with one unit. I have welded 1/2" plate in a single pass with this setup (passed X-ray) before I retired it from my shop.

Remember, inferior welds on suspension components don't just put your life at risk. They put the lives of everyone around you on the road at risk. Please consider that before you weld 'er up!

Great replies guys thank you. I can mig really well, but I have not used the stick welder in so long and I am not sure how to get the best settings out of it. Because of my lack of a better mig and decreased knowledge about the buzz box, I see that I need to have my first frame built by a pro then. It's not worth the risk of my family lives or those around me.

It kind of sucks as I really wanted to experience this part of the build. I guess on my next one I can get a better welder and use the pro built frame as a model.

Thanks for the help and insight

What I did was fab my frame up and where possible tack it together, then brought my hired gun in to run all the weld. That way your in on the whole process.

I agree with the earlier comments. I have the same situation, with the 140 and the old buzz box. I use the mig for all my sheet metal and light fab, and the stick welder for all the frame and suspension fab.

Latest posts

Back