Pics/History of my "shop"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmecord

So over the last few days we have been doing some serious cleaning around my shop.The building has been in the family for many years,and nobody ever put any thought into it's age,or history. I am somewhat of a treasure hunter when it comes to old house places,houses,buildings.Now my shop is actually 2 side by side buildings.One is about 30'ish feet wide,and about 60 foot long,while the other is about 15 foot wide,and also about 60 foot long.I was up in the rafters of the smaller side and found a bunch of paper work and tossed it down to my wife.Upon looking at the papers we found out that from the early 30's to the mid/late 50's it was the town grocery,and feed store.We found old stocking receipts,as well as really old made out checks ! I am going to see what else I can find out about the old building over the next few days by going to the library and talking to the older folks around town.You can see some old writing on the side,and the front of the building but it never made any sense until we saw the paperwork then with that we were able to make out what the words said on the buildings.
Here are a few pics for those who care !

Attachments

• shop 006.jpg
    shop 006.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 114
  • shop 007.jpg
    shop 007.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 115
  • shop 009.jpg
    shop 009.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 108
  • shop 014.jpg
    shop 014.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 113
  • shop 015.jpg
    shop 015.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 111
  • shop 016.jpg
    shop 016.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 123
It's a little bit of history. Neat for building old cars in. Cool to find stuff like those papers. We had a man from the historical society stop by several years ago and give us picture of our house from the 1870's.

I was actually thinking of tearing it all down and building a new shop on the property.Now after finding what little info/docs I have about the property I am starting to reconsider.One wall of my shop side is in bad shape,as alot of the wood is rotted.All the windows in the shop need re framed,the perimeter foundation is starting to crumble and the floor is cracked and uneven.I am thinking from a historical/coolness standpoint I should reframe what needs reframed,hang new doors,replace what wood is rotten,insulate and pour another 4" of crete over the floor and go from there. All that would surely cost less than a complete rebuild so I just don't know.We are waiting for the title company to call us on a house just across the street from my building that we want to redo that was built in 1900.I guess I need to get bizzy if I'm gunna track down info and fix these places up before it gets snowy !

As someone who studied drafting & design/architecture and is a sucker for old buildings, that's a neat one for sure and should be preserved if possible. It reminds me of the old building I was in many years ago.

Yea,it is pretty neat ! I guess I will be looking seriously into shoring it up,I mean you can't beat paid for as far as shops big enough to build cars out of go.

LOL ! cash the checks.... I am not really sure what the deal with them is,they are made out,and signed then are punched full of holes in a design of sorts.
I also found a 1949 trunk that is pretty cool,as well as another old trunk that does not have the date on it. Then there is old metal table/display that I am trying to see if is worth saving.

wow nobody went thru that stuff before you ? first thing i did was climb in the attic to see if i was a secret millionaire. nope, but found i had excellent insulation.

Nope,Years ago my grandmother who worked at the town bank bought the building for my grandfather because she was tired of the "junk" cars he kept bringing into her yard LOL ! So that is all he ever did with the place,store his projects,or flip cars.Sadly he died a couple years ago.So since the 80's it has been in the family and nobody cared to look up there !

LOL ! cash the checks.... I am not really sure what the deal with them is,they are made out,and signed then are punched full of holes in a design of sorts.
I also found a 1949 trunk that is pretty cool,as well as another old trunk that does not have the date on it. Then there is old metal table/display that I am trying to see if is worth saving.

Way back then the banks had a machine that was hand operated that when the check was processed at the bank they were hand fed and the bank route code was punched in them. It voided the check and identified what bank processed it. Kinda like a ratputer.

Latest posts

Back