Need help buying a torch...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
I've been wanting to get a torch set, but don't have a clue about this stuff. Probably mostly use it for heating and cut off, but want something I can use for welding and brazing too. Wanna see how well hammer welding roof sections works.

What's with the propane? Is it on par with Acetylene? Is it interchangeable or do you have to have a whole different set up? Is there stuff to look for when buying used? How about buying used tanks from an individual?

I've seen a few on CL lately that seem to be decent prices... Here's what's in the area recently: http://quadcities.craigslist.org/search/?sort=rel&areaID=307&subAreaID=&query=torch&catAbb=sss

Should I go new all the way? Or at least get the tanks from a distributor? I guess the propane tanks are no biggie, but not sure about the O2 or Acetylene tanks?

Propane doesn't burn as hot. (I wouldn't waste my time with it personally.)

A good torch set will live longer than you. Think "Harris", "Smith" or "Victor". Nothing wrong with used if they're not abused.

Be careful with buying another guy's cylinders. Make sure he OWNS them. (If they're leased, you'll pay again when you need them filled.) You can buy your cylinders outright or lease them, check it out with your supplier and do what makes sense to you. If you're lucky enough to have multiple sources, shop and compare, every distributor's a little different in my experience.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
And to add, cylinders are dated. If they are over I think 10 years old, they have to be re-certified before they will fill them. I was quoted a price of $100 per tank a few years back, may be different in your area.

Thanks fellas! That gets me started.

So no propane for welding and don't get excited about used tanks. After looking at stuff, I think I'll go new all the way and get the tanks from the distributor like I do for my MIG.

SO new question, what do I need for welding sheet steel, panel heating, and cutting?

Any good places online to buy from? I'm more than willing to buy through the gas place, but I want to be able to haggle a good price too.

I have a large commercial size set that will cut up to 1 1/4" and a small
journeyman set (I think that's what they call it). Both Victor and both over 25 years old.

I only use the small set since getting out of the heavy equipment thing.
That is what I would recommend. Light and easy to handle in most situations.
And will handle anything automotive. Comes with cutting head, Rose bud for heating and three sizes of welding tips.

This is the same size set that I've seen Bonehead use, I'm pretty sure, and we've all seen what he produces.

I own my own bottles cause there are times that I don't use the torch for months at a time and I don't want to pay rent on them when I don't use them.

Good luck, there's a lot you can do with a torch.

A quick Victor search produced the Journeyman set POPS mentioned. It's everything you should want or need and I'd recommend this kit as well.

Google? Don't fail me now. Seems everybody and their dog sells Victor. (and plenty of knock-offs :mad:) Surely, there's a good price out there somewhere. (No, I didn't call you Shirley) Good luck Sam...

Victor_0384_2036__95352.1372077886.1280.1280.jpg

I've got a set of small Victor I've had for 35 or 40 years. My big set is Harris, just because at the time they were a lot cheaper than Victor and I was young and broke, I've had for 45 years.
Along with your big set, these A/C portable torch sets are great for tight places and are the bomb for doing sheet metal welding.
You can buy these, tanks and all, at garage sales or on craig's worth the money. Usually $100 bucks or less.
This is a Harris set.

hvac-pat.jpg

Latest posts

Back