how do you wire a tachometer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Transplant

He started out with nothing, he still has most of
Hey ,, has any one ever wired up a old sun super tachometer ? and it has 4 red wires coming out of it ?.. I havnt looked at it real hard yet no markings that I seen on the back ...[S oh, and its an old tach.

Should be...

1) Green to neg coil terminal
2) Black to ground
3) Red to switched 12 volts
4) Blue for light

BoB

and it has 4 red wires coming out of it ?..

Somebody's color-blind. (Like me. :eek:)

Take it apart. The reds may be spliced into the colors Tripper said... or, they're run straight to removable terminals and if that's the case, the terminals should be marked...

B - Battery (switched 12V+)
T - Trigger (- coil)
G - Ground
L - Light

How old? The 60's Sun Tachs required a sender box that mounted between the coil and tach. The newer ones don't have to have it.

Some use a white wire for the light instead of blue. Other codes should be the same green to coil, red to battery voltage, black to ground.

I got a better look at it a few min. ago I dont know if its plug -in- terminals or not but it is marked in the hole where the wires go into the tach .. and I dont know how old it is but it has a switch or screw for 4 6 or 8 cyl. and a zero correction ? switch ??? you take the part off the back that holds it to the mounting bracket and look up in the hole ,, thats where the letters are for the wires ... Thanks for the help anyways guys ... but I dont know about if it has to have a sender box ??

Capturetach.jpg this is what it looks like my picture off my phone will not load

Last edited:
Doesn't look that old to me....

I'd guess someone was messin with the wiring....Got the same tack in my Pontiac.....it's got the wires coming out that match trippers post.....so I'd guess someone rewired it....don't think that style uses a box....

Can you slide the housing off....

and get to the wiring inside? I think it's pretty easy.....
I went to see if I had another one on the shelf...I do but it's a smaller face one that's brand new....the Sun tach like your's is in my 63....it's on the lift right now but I'll take a peek this weekend, see if I can get the back off and give you some idea of where they go....but I don't believe that is the box type....if memory serves me those were mostly the half face type with the D shaped glass.....like the ones you'll see at this site...http://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/news.asp?artID=43376

I found out where they go sgt. up inside its got the B and T and L and G on each terminal so Im good to go now its still going to be a week or so till I fire the engine off to see if it works.. need a few more parts to finish it up

It's very hard to get the smoke back into the wires once you let it out...Just sayin [cl

Latest posts

Back