Hobart Handler 175 ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Had a guy come into my shop today that has a Hobart Handler 175 + 80cu ft bottle for sale, he bought it new and says he'll sell it cheap. Also has a gas welding outfit. Will I be happy with it? Will it be stout enough to weld up my frame? If I buy it I'll sell my MillerMatic 140 cause I'm sure it would be redundant.

I missed out on an Esab 200 with bottle for $600.00 this past weekend, it must have sold first call cause the guy turned his phone off all weekend[S

Should be good for frame. (I assume it's a 220v) It's probably rated for 1/4". I'd keep your old machine for awhile just in case you hate the Hobart. Sounds like you could sell it for as much as you paid for it, so what's the harm?

It is 220, I paid $400 for my 140 if my memory serves me right and have a buyer for $500 right now if I decide to sell it. I'm also in the market for a decent tig welder but may hold off on that cause the owner has a huge Miller Syncrowave that my boss said I can use too, they want me to get good at it so they can take on some welding work that they used to do but have to turn down now.

I believe the 175 is rated for max. 5/16'' material, but they stretch that a little in my opinion.

I've got a Handler 140, rated for 1/4''. It won't do 1/4'' unless the joint is bevelled considerably, and that's questionable at best. Does 3/16'' OK, but really only penetrates 1/8'' properly.

Anyhow, the 175 should burn 3/16'' easy, and 1/4'' fairly well.

I would hang onto the 140 machine if you plan to do alot of welding. Leave .023 in the little machine for sheetmetal and light work, .030 in the big one for heavier stuff. Swapping wire and rollers all the time gets frustrating fast!

Keep the 140 unless you need the cash for the upgrade. Several good reasons listed above, and another good one is in case one breaks on you.

Right after I made my last post a Lincoln 300 tig popped up on CL for $200.00

I called about it imediately but the guy was a real A hole so I decided to pass on it. Couldn't try it out for that kind of money he said. More deals will pop up.

My boss mentioned me taking the Miller to my shop again today (has to clear it with the big boss though[P )

I'll probably sell the 140 and use the money for something else I need[;)

My dad picked up a 175 hobart a couple months ago and it runs pretty good,the duty cycle is a little low on thicker metal, but not a big deal. he was lucky enough to get it from a lady who's husband had died for $400 bucks and it had been used 1 time. best thing was i got his older miller which was the same size.

As far as a tig rig, what metals are you going to be welding with it? If your just going to be welding carbon steel or stainless stainless theres no need in buying a "TIG" machine, I run a tig rig off a sears craftsman ac/dc machine thats 34 years old, just have to get a tig whip and some gas hose.

Miller has a nice little 115/230 stick/tig machine that runs good on 115 and great on 230 for like 1grand and only weighs about 20 lbs. It will run a 1/8th 7018 rod on 115volts and out on my last ga power plant job i was on we were tigging up to 2" stainless socket welds with no problems. only down side it wont do aluminum.[;)

Hobart 175 Handler

I have a handler 175 that I bought from a man that moved to s. ga. about 2 years ago for 250.00. never had a gas bottle hooked to it. all the fittings and regulater was new and still in the original box. machine looked new. after learning a little about it I really like it. Just had to practice with it and get a great welder friend to help me sort it out. but no problems with the machine.[;)[;)

Latest posts

Back