Stash

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

Found a stash of 392 Hemi's in an old dealership building
Soooooo I went and bought two and a buddy bought one [dr[ddd:cool:
And they all turn over (not stuck)
There were a total of eighteen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0106181407.jpg
    0106181407.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Yea, it's a great car.
He fired it up while we were there.
The owner has never driven it or even sat in it till we showed up. They pulled it in the garage and turned it off. The guy standing in the alley is the owner.
The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

I'm in tears here, OI. When I heal up I'll be able to tell you some things to think about. Is the Hemi with the partial bellhousing, an integral one or a bolt on big truck bell? Anyhow, Chrysler used the same bellhousing bolt pattern for all of their V-8's up until '62, then they changed to the style of bell that the other guys were using. I think the bolt pattern is the same but the centering pins are too far inboard to catch the newer bellhousing. So any bell housing from a 313 or 318 Poly will probably work for you. I have been hording Poly V-8 bellhousings.
PS. If the stress of owning too many Hemis gets to bad I'll give you my address. :D:D:D
The pic is a small truck Hemi bellhousing and a NP A833 behind a baby Hemi. I can't find my Poly bell pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 33
Mac, it's not an integral. The numbers stamped on that engine say it's out of a 57 Imperial
It has the same bolt pattern, on the back, as the other engines.
I also got two aluminum adapters to be able to use the newer OD trannies too.
I got a set of adjustable rockers but, they turned out to be for a 426 Hemi :(

I was worried about what you would rig up behind the engines, but you have handled the problem.
Anyhow, not only have you stumbled onto a great find, you had the gumption to buy these engines and get them home to a safe place. Good for you. Lots of people could have a good story about the fish they caught, but it got away; but you have a good story about the fish you caught,---- and brought home.

This will make you a little ill.
I went with money in hand to buy eight 392's
When we got there Saturday morning, the owner said he had not visited the building for about six months and some no good son of a swine (not exactly the words) stole 4 of the engines I was going to buy.
That's the only reason they all weren't on the trailer.

The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

[cl :D :D

This will make you a little ill.
I went with money in hand to buy eight 392's
When we got there Saturday morning, the owner said he had not visited the building for about six months and some no good son of a swine (not exactly the words) stole 4 of the engines I was going to buy.
That's the only reason they all weren't on the trailer.

Hanging's too good for that rotten *******!!! :mad:

What are you doing with the two you have? Can we expect a build of some sort?

Doc, I was very disappointed to say the least and mad as hell that they were stolen :(:mad:
[dr As far as a build goes, I bought the 37 GMC I built for Peabody and I'm gonna build one of them so I can install it in the 37 :cool:
I will do a build thread [P

I'll look forward to the '37 build.

I still have the dragster, btw. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• my dragster IMG_0034 - Copy (2).jpg
    my dragster IMG_0034 - Copy (2).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 103
Great find OI but a bummer about the stolen ones.:(
It must be hemi season as in searching for an engine for the*boat project one of the guys that I talked to has a 354 Hemi that has been set up for marine use. Would be cool, but again the cost of rebuilding could get expensive.
At least you know the builder of the Peabody 37 did a great job......[dr :D [cl
Torchie

I'll look forward to the '37 build.

I still have the dragster, btw. ;)

attachment.php

Dng Dr C, why don't you stick some vintage engine in that thing and have some fun at some of the vintage meets? Could be a mostly stock engine, just something to run and have fun with, like bobw's 6 banger digger.....

Dng Dr C, why don't you stick some vintage engine in that thing and have some fun at some of the vintage meets? Could be a mostly stock engine, just something to run and have fun with, like bobw's 6 banger digger.....

I'm waiting for my 392 Chrysler to arrive. ;)

Seriously, I bought the car on a whim and I've been hopelessly searching for its history since. (No luck, insofar.) Based on the car's construction and wheelbase, I believe it was a top fuel or junior fuel car. I'd like to recreate the original build if I ever find its origins...

That said, I'm getting older by the minute and vintage events are relatively long hauls for me. (Been there, done that with our funnycar ventures.) I'll not be quick to throw the family finances into another race car, yet the fire still burns...

I have a cherry little 283, however. It would make for a cool 2x4 or injected screamer in the old dragster... my wife thinks she'd like to drive and 11's suddenly seem sensible. [S :eek:

Latest posts

Back