Need some opinions....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitonit

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to run this past all of you and see what you think. Got a line on a 49 Pontiac Streamliner with a Chevy 350, its already chopped and has air shocks on the back axle. Not in perfect condition, but the body is fine and I love the 54 Caddy front bumper. It needs a ton of work- airbags, glass, new tires, interior (currently has a front and back bench seat, but nothing else) and a new shifter (current one functions but lacks the ability to lock into gear) are the big hits. He wants $10,500 for it- is it too much? Not trying to go crazy custom with anything, just a fun car to get in trouble with.

All opinions welcome

Thanks,

Scott A.

Attachments

• IMG_4886.jpg
    IMG_4886.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5597.jpg
    IMG_5597.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3544.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3549.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 55
The pics look good. I can see a few things I would "fix" right away, but they are small. What is the rest of the story on the car? Look for the bad stuff. Lots of "other people's" builds are downright dangerous.

Judging by most ads these days, the price isn't all that bad. The real question is, Can you live with it? All things being equal, I would likely trade for my 39, and I will ask more for it when I put it on the market.

Zipper took the words right out of my mouth, [how good are you at fabbing?].
I would already be bringing that car home if I was anywhere near it, and I am not even any kind of a GM man. But I consider myself a pretty good fabricator. The glass that is left to do is flat so not too hard to install. If you could get the car up on a hoist and look at the undercarriage, that would be good. The body itself is worth $10,000.
You asked for opinions.

Zipper took the words right out of my mouth, [how good are you at fabbing?].
I would already be bringing that car home if I was anywhere near it, and I am not even any kind of a GM man. But I consider myself a pretty good fabricator. The glass that is left to do is flat so not too hard to install. If you could get the car up on a hoist and look at the undercarriage, that would be good. The body itself is worth $10,000.
You asked for opinions.

Opinions are what I came for!

Thanks!

Scott A.

Not a bad deal if you dig the car & realize what will be involved in getting it running both fab wise & money wise. A LOT of work went into getting it to this point but even if you just got it drivable it looks like a fun car. Just keep in mind... it will typically take 3 times as long time wise & 3 times more $$$ as you think or at least that's been my experience! Let us know what you decide!

BoB

Like Tripper said, the chop alone is very time consuming and costly if you can't do one.

Are the front and rear windows glass or plexi??? the windshield looks like plexi to me if so, change them out immediately. At least the front windshield.

What's the deal on the headers????

The price isn't bad, looks like a lot more work to get it road worthy. I really dig it myself.

This is a good price on the ole Poncho that hansgoudzwaard posted
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/d/1947pontiac-2-door-fastback/6672822687.html

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how cool that car looks. It is one bada** custom. Everything flows pretty well, and it screams custom.

Now, here is the reality. The price may not be too bad, depending on how well the work was done (how much bondo, etc) However, you are going to spend another $10-$15,000 to finish it properly.

Glass is going to be EXPENSIVE. You don't go to Autozone and pick up a windshield or back window for a chopped custom, it will need to be custom made. I would research those windows before you commit. You can not leave plastic windows in the car, you just can't.

Suspension is also going to be replaced, I bet. When I hear air shocks on the back, that says questionable workmanship to me. Get it up on a rack and go over it with a fine tooth comb. If you have to start replacing the suspension with Fatman or other brands of suspension, it adds up REAL FAST.

Two things that really bother me. That exhaust setup is weird, and says shortcut to me. That would have to be replaced with a conventional, under body exhaust to be correct. The second is the generator...…….why did they not put an alternator on there ?

But, overall, I dig it.

Never ever EVER buy a chopped car that doesn't have glass installed.

NEVER EVER.

99.99% of the time there are more than several reasons it isn't in. It just isn't worth taking a chance.

Also like Don said, there are a lot of things on this car that are screaming "shortcut" and throw up red flags. Makes me very curious about what's under that paint.

This isn't a car I would recommend to anyone without a LOT of going over by someone very experienced and competent with custom cars, and even then I would advise a novice to steer clear. 10k is too much to gamble with IMO...

Thank You!

My sincere thanks to all of you guys.

These comments are exactly what I needed.

It is really nice to have you all (and Undead Sleds) as a resource to bounce things off of.

Scott A.

There are enough concerns I can see in the pictures that I wonder how well the chop and any other fab was done.

You can see daylight between the door and roof at the front corner, that's one area of concern. Then the way the grille area and firewall are finished and those headers, make me wonder how much has really been half-butted on the car. Take a fridge magnet and see if it sticks at various areas, including the chop areas.

I'd be more interested in some of the stuff that hans posted, personally.

Only reason to mount headers like that would be to put hair dryers on them, other than that, they look stupid.:rolleyes:

I agree on the glass, too. You can't just go out and buy glass to fit, it's going to have to be cut, know a good glass man? And the back glass, some of those are tempered glass that can't be cut, you'd have to have a laminated glass made up unless it's flat, it could be big $$$.:eek:

And if the suspension isn't done, that runs into money, too. How deep are your pockets?:confused:

I wouldn't give over $1500-$2000 for that car in it's current shape. Too many unknowns.:eek:

Latest posts

Back