distributor hang up, HELP!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zordan

i just replaced my stock dizzy with a dual point mallory on my 352FE. before i had oil pressure, now i dont. i know the shaft at the bottom of the dizzy goes to drive the oil pump, but why does it fire up great now, and run smooth...but i have no oil pressure? i have taken it out 3 times and the shaft looks to be ok, each time i re-time it and it runs great. (with no oil pressure ) what am i missing! only difference between the two, is the stock unit is vacuum advance, the mallory is mechanical. anyone?! i am running out of hair to pull out!

ok, well now the shaft fell into what sounded like the oil pan. so i guess it's not going to run tonight.

ok, well now the shaft fell into what sounded like the oil pan. so i guess it's not going to run tonight.

Ouch, that's not good.

Is your oill pressure gauge mechanical or electrical. If it's mechanical, I doubt there would be any problem with it unless the line somehow got kinked. If it's electric, it's possible that the sender went bad at the same time you changed the dist. but not likely.

Have you compared the two distributors to make sure that the new one is identical in length? I'd start there.

I've seen this hapen before but every time the issue was due to shaft misalignment during the dist. install.

I'm guessing you are dealing with a sbc here. Are you using the same dist. drive shaft that was in the engine before and is the collar at the oil pump end in tact?

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head for this issue.

well i was having some oil pressure woes anyway. sometimes it would just lose a bit of pressure for no reason. so i just ordered a new shaft, pump, pickup, and gasket, plugs, wires, and a coil. i guess i know what i'm doing this weekend! i want to sell the truck eventually but i want to make sure it is right before i do that. it's a 352 FE motor in a 1966 ford F100. the gauge is a SW greenline mechanical. the only thing i can think is i had it mis aligned, and when i seated the dizzy, it pushed the shaft thru the retainer and into the oilpan. thanks for the ideas!

Oh, my bad. I should have read the first line of your post better on which engine you were working on. For some reason, I just was thinking it was your T. Sorry.

Your synopsis may be right about what happened.

its all good, i am glad it's not the T, but i do like driving the truck too! maybe i just need to go to bed. things could always be worse, right?!

Didn't this guy call his distributor a "dizzy"?
Or was it a "dizzymashizzille"?:D:D:D

Attachments

• SnoopDog.jpg
    SnoopDog.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3
i think i might have called my dizzy, a distributor...:rolleyes: you know how we roll out here on the left coast.

Maybe check the new dizzy were the shaft goes in, make sure it is not stripped out. I had that happen to me. Also make sure the shaft didn't snap, had that happen also. My one pickup doesnt have oil pressure at idle. I've driven it for 3 years like that and she won't blow up. I personally run 390's. Pretty much the same thing.

i did get it fixed finally. i got a stronger ARP pump shaft, a new pump, and oil pickup too. getting that oil pan out was not fun.....but really is it ever?! when the shaft is in the hole, but not in the pocket on the pump it can move around and fall, from what i can guess is that when i pulled my dizzle mashizzle :D out that last fateful time it stuck on the shaft enough to drop it into the pan. but it is running great now. perfect pressure, and way more responsive than before. thanks for your advice, and your comments about my slang!

wizeguy, i am from the east coast and i heard it called a dizzy back there too....wheres that rock at that you're hiding under in TN :eek::D

Apparently learning how to build cool rides, rather than learning how to talk cool.....:D:D:D:

Also, back here on the east side, some probably say dizzy because most of us hillbillies can't pronounce distributor....lol

i think because saying distributor requires teeth. something alot of people on the east side dont have! yeah, yeah, my family included...:eek:

that could very well be the most disgusting thing i have seen in my life!

and exactly why i dont ever want to live on the east coast again. that, and cars dont rust out here....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back