Hole in the head project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buff and polish the paint for now, can always spray it later.
Vair bumper is an improvement. Cut and paint it AMG style?

You talking about this style bumper? I thought about fabbing something similar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221219-125538_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221219-125538_Samsung Internet.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 17
Not really thinking about shapes but that would look good. I was thinking of the everything the same color deal, maybe I used the wrong name? Brain block for another name…..

It's hard to know where to draw the line. I like the 80's drug dealer looking cars, but the color of this car suggests old man going to the golf course. Not exactly sinister looking. Monochromatic is cool, but maybe not with pale yellow/ivory.

Not sure I want to pay to make this car look really nice (color change)....this purchase wasn't planned, it just sorta happened. I may just keep the big bumpers too, just slide them in a little.

Just do the LS swap and be happy driving a white trash Benz?

Last edited:
Monochromatic, that's what I was trying to think of. I think the AMG packaged cars were all monochromatic, usually dark colors IIRC.

This car might be the car to copy. Supposedly it was a prototype for a dealership customized SL...mercedes version of Yenko chevrolet or Baldwin Motion cars

Attachments

• original-concept-illustrations-showing-the-front-rear-and-side-of-the-proposed-dms-4-7-the-stunn.jpg
    original-concept-illustrations-showing-the-front-rear-and-side-of-the-proposed-dms-4-7-the-stunn.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 17
  • test-1.jpg
    test-1.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 14
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 14
Looking at the front bumper this morning, it looks like the "chrome bumper" is just a chrome trim piece stuck on top of a black painted steel bumper. I should be able to tuck the bumpers, fab steel end pieces, shave the cut-outs for turn signals and driving lights, weld it up, grind it smooth and then paint it all body color. ....without spending any real money.

Attachments

• 20221230_110729.jpg
    20221230_110729.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221230_112009.jpg
    20221230_112009.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
I bought this thing without a key.

Turns out, Mercedes can cut a key based on the VIN. I paid my $58 and took a chance. Turns out this car still has its original ignition cylinder and door locks. Yay for me. I was afraid I was going to have a $58 trunk key.

You ought to have remembered that from "Gone in 60 seconds", the second version!:rolleyes:

Just kidding Flipper. That's one of those things you might know of, but probably wouldn't think of unless you owned a Mercedes. Great you have the key, now does the original engine run?

You ought to have remembered that from "Gone in 60 seconds", the second version!:rolleyes:

Just kidding Flipper. That's one of those things you might know of, but probably wouldn't think of unless you owned a Mercedes. Great you have the key, now does the original engine run?

It didn't do anything when I turned the key. I didn't even look to see if the starter was hooked up ...or if there was even a starter. No desire to fight Bosch fuel injection at all. It is going LS.

I don’t blame you. I was just curious why it got parked, engine failure, trans failure, electrical problems. Should be more dependable with the LS from what everybody says about them.

I don’t blame you. I was just curious why it got parked, engine failure, trans failure, electrical problems. Should be more dependable with the LS from what everybody says about them.

Yeah, it would make sense to figure out what works or doesn't work before doing an engine swap. It will probably save me a lot of grief.

I bought a used plastic dash pad cover off of Facebook marketplace for $15. I go to pick it up...and the guy selling it is the owner of American Powertrain!!!! I got to spend an hour talking cars with him and checking out the cars in the lobby. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Attachments

• 20230119_193937.jpg
    20230119_193937.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230119_193959.jpg
    20230119_193959.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back