1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes

ya, l will be doing some shows in the south-end of the state.

l have to fix the throttle cable, went out to drive her yesterday and the darn thing snapped off by the throttle pedal, easy fix, maybe jimmy didn't want me drive it over the weekend[S

Later :cool:

Anniversary

today is the 12Th anniversary of Jimmy's death.

a hard day to get thru, then on the 25th it is his birthday and l will go sit at his gravesite and visit for awhile.

Re-build

the camaro sub frame is suspension is wore out so l got all new parts this week to re-build the truck during the winter down time.

l purchased tubular A-arms for the upper & new stamped steel for the lower.

she was wearing out new tires so fast, just put new ones on in 2O13 and they are toast.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• 1154118.jpg
    1154118.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 6957393978_ea2b96d181.jpg
    6957393978_ea2b96d181.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
Tired suspension or not, you're driving it enough to wear out the tires. That sounds like a win to me!
-Chaz

rebuild time

the front end ball joints and steering parts are so wore out it's changing lanes by itself:eek:

l ordered all new upper and lower A arms. cheaper to buy complete than to buy the parts to rebuild the old ones in the truck.

tubular ones for the top and stock for the bottom.

a brand new pair of BF Goodrich T/A's to replace the old tires, the front-end would not hold an alignment and ate the new tires l put on last summer.

Attachments

• bfg tire.jpg
    bfg tire.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2
  • tube3.jpg
    tube3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3
  • tube 1.jpg
    tube 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2
  • tube 2.jpg
    tube 2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3
  • tube4.jpg
    tube4.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 4
  • tube5.jpg
    tube5.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
ysterday

l am so thankful for this web site, it helps me so much to get thru days like yesterday.

l was to wrapped up in my own sorrow yesterday to post on the truck build thread, real bad days still happen even though it's been 13 years since his death.

June 25th was Jimmy's 29th birthday and for the first time since we finished the truck l did not get to drive her to his gravesite as she is down for maintenance. the steering was getting so bad it ate the new tires up in less than six months and was trying to change lane by herself, actually was getting kinda scary to drive and safety is a prime concern on all my builds so a rebuild of the worn parts is defiantly on the agenda.

she will be back on the road soon, the new parts are here l just gotta get off my butt and do it.

front-end

FINALLY got the front-end steering rebuilt and back on the road, she drives like a new truck now:D

l had to get new moog springs for a 1980 camaro to replace the original ones as they were so wore out that l put them back in and the front bumper almost touched the ground. some monroe coil-over shocks were also installed, the old shocks and springs were also part of the handling problem but with every other one of the old pieces junk the time for new springs was now since it was apart already & anyone who works on rods knows the pain to tear apart a steering system. no need to do it partially, l had to do it right.

l really missed driving her, first trip was friday to the local cruz'in.

Attachments

• moog_cargo_coil_springs.png
    moog_cargo_coil_springs.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'm really liking your truck. Can't believe this is my first comment in this thread. I'm slow, sorry.

the camaro sub frame is suspension is wore out so l got all new parts this week to re-build the truck during the winter down time.

l purchased tubular A-arms for the upper & new stamped steel for the lower.

she was wearing out new tires so fast, just put new ones on in 2O13 and they are toast.

Want a fast ratio (Delphi 600) steering box for it? I bought it for my Camaro build, but went with a rack instead.

update

my friend who does my front-end alignments is not gonna be able to to get to Alice till spring.. sucks 'couse l wanted to drive her sooner than that, but with all the new parts she defiantly needs one.

I'd do a tape measure alignment on it before I'd wait till spring to drive it.
If you do it right you can get it close enough that it won't wear your tires out with the work you've done to the front end. JMHO.

drive

we used I-R-POPS idea just to get by with the tape measure.

so happy:D:D:D[cl[cl[cl

l finally got to drive Bubba's truck on a real test drive after rebuilding the front-end.

had a few carb issues from sitting all winter, it needed some fine tuning, but now she's good to go, sorta.

still have a couple of pesky oil leaks that need attention & new exhaust leak l found today.

0H, and a front-end alignment :rolleyes:

Later :D

Attachments

• jimmy's truck good guys.jpg
    jimmy's truck good guys.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back