Coil spring advice request

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce R

I’m putting a Mustang 2 suspension in my 62 Ford Falcon and when I look into ordering parts they give a lot of choices for springs that I’m not educated on enough. They list different weight springs and I have no clue what to order. Like I said, the car is a 62 Falcon, the engine will be a Chevy 350 with a 5spd trans. Any advice from out there would be appreciated, Thanks.

Spring Rate depends entirely on the weight the spring has to support, so you need to know what your front end weighs, in total, before choosing a rate.

Here's a list I have saved in my MII notes:

1200 lb. Front End Weight = 275 Rate Spring
1300 lb. Front End Weight = 300 Rate Spring
1400 lb. Front End Weight = 325 Rate Spring
1500 lb. Front End Weight = 350 Rate Spring
1600 lb. Front End Weight = 375 Rate Spring
1700 lb. Front End Weight = 400 Rate Spring
1800 lb. Front End Weight = 425 Rate Spring

Spring Rate depends entirely on the weight the spring has to support, so you need to know what your front end weighs, in total, before choosing a rate.

Here's a list I have saved in my MII notes:

1200 lb. Front End Weight = 275 Rate Spring
1300 lb. Front End Weight = 300 Rate Spring
1400 lb. Front End Weight = 325 Rate Spring
1500 lb. Front End Weight = 350 Rate Spring
1600 lb. Front End Weight = 375 Rate Spring
1700 lb. Front End Weight = 400 Rate Spring
1800 lb. Front End Weight = 425 Rate Spring

That’s a fine chart, which I will save, but how do I figure out my application ? I know a stock Falcon with a V8 weighs just shy of 2400, and I’m using a 350 Chevy engine.

I'm finding Falcon weights as high as 2950. [S So, what will your car weigh fully assembled? Hell if I know.

We'll be facing the same question sooner or later. We don't have a crystal ball and we're not into guessing games... so, we'll assemble the car completely and actually weigh it.

Well I suppose I could put it all together with blocks in place of the springs and then tow it down to the feed mill and weigh it, seems like there should be a better way, at any rate, how would knowing the car’s total weight tell me what the weight of the front end is ?

Front axle on the scale, rear axle off the scale. I've done it many times, but it is a pain in the a** to unload and reload a trailered car.

Even if you know the car's weight before, the weight of everything removed and the weight of everything added, how can you possibly know how much weight each axle has gained or lost?

If there are any roundy round racers in your area, a lot of them have wheel scales they use to set their cars up with. Maybe you could get one to come help you weigh yours?

Latest posts

Back