Your first car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleazy

I don't know if a "what was your first car thread" already exist but I couldn't find one and after reading rust lovers post about his first car it made wonder what others first cars were.

So post pics (if you have any) with a story of the car and what happened to it.

Ill start with mine. 81 Pontiac Bonneville, not a car you hear much about haha. It has a 400 sbc, 6 speed manual, air ride and a ford 9 rear. It would go for a boat. I still have the car hidden in the corner of my dad's shop. I have no plans of getting rid of her, but she need some work. I plan on rebuilding the car after I get a few more builds under my belt. Only car i have an interest in making a show car. :cool:

Attachments

• joes reception, bonn 042.jpg
    joes reception, bonn 042.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 41
  • joes reception, bonn 045.jpg
    joes reception, bonn 045.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 32
  • joes reception, bonn 050.jpg
    joes reception, bonn 050.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 30
Mine was the '54 Bel Aire HT that's still in my yard. I paid a buddy 20 bucks down on a 50 dollar deal, and never did cough up the other $30!

my 1957 4 door 150 that grampa gave me when l was 14 years old.:D

0H and by the way,,,,it's still sitting in my garage, in pieces, but on the list to be put back together in the next few years[;)

gonna get the 350/7OOR4, disc brakes and lowered and driven all over.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• 57chevy17.jpg
    57chevy17.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
1966 Chevy II 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the column, but I had to change that to a floor shifter. It was painted 69 Camaro "hugger orange" with a set of Crager SS wheels. No pictures because that long ago I wasn't smart enough to take a few pics of any of my cars (some would still question my "smarts" to this day) :D

53 Chevy Belaire 4 door, Yellow, white top, green interior, 235, auto and power steering. $80
Dad gave it to me for my 16th birthday in 67 :)

67 Mustang, 200 I6 C4 auto, no power anything, not even the motor!:D Gave $600 for it, kept it six months, traded it for another 67 Mustang, 289 C4, power brakes, steering and AC. Should have kept that one, but living at home the folks wouldn't let me keep two cars. Ended up keeping the 68 Caprice I had bought for it's spacious seats. [ddd

1955 Chevy pickup - 4x4. My uncle used it for a fuel truck on the farm. That thing could climb a pole in low range. Sold it 30 years ago to buy an engagement ring. Best trade I ever made! Wish I had both, but couldn't afford it..

Depends on if you mean first car I owned or first car I had on the road. My first car was a 32 Ford 5 window coupe my Dad bought me when I was 11, but he got rid of it to get me a "better" car, a 50 Willys Jeepster. :(

However, my first car that I got when I was 16 to drive was a 57 VW bug, all 36 hp of it. :D Not exciting, but 50 cents in gas would run me all over the place.

Don

74 pinto station wagon
a white one with that fake wood on the sides.
least i was able to sweet talk chickie babes into the back.
being the only kid with a car had it's perks......[ddd

Mine isn't as cool as everyone else..... then again....... by the time I was 16 most of the cars you guys are talking about are worth a lot more than the money you are saying.

My first was a 94 cougar xr7 4.6 V8. Turd, absolute turd. But it would try pretty hard and never really got to drive an easy mile. Got horrible gas mileage, but it looked pretty cool. Was a comfortable ride, "spacious seats" lol.

Beat the snot out of that for a couple years then sold it when I bought my truck which I still drive now. Poor old betty is getting pretty long in the tooth now but still gets me around.

Long-winded story...

I was 14 when Mom and Dad "split". Mom kept the "good" car, Dad took the second car and I got the pickup: '64 GMC/283/tree speed (soon to be floor shifted with a lever too short for proper abuse, but an improvement nonetheless). By the time I finished high school, I had the '64, a '54 Chevy PU, a '67 Impala SS and a '67 Imp 4 door "parts car". (Being "the man of the house" had its advantages. When my parents' house sold, I pried Mom heavily for its replacement and succeeded... a place with an abnormally lonnng garage and driveway.:p On the day of possession, a little red dude appeared on my shoulder and I swear he said, "Let the collection begin". [ddd)

Needless to say, parking at Mom's new house became an issue (in her opinion) and something had to give. A friend wanted the '64, so I sold it to him, reluctantly, minus the 283 my father built. The little engine served in two more Chevys before I pulled it for the last time. I still have the 283... a piece of Dad and my first "car".

P.S. "Spacious seats" - my big Impala SS failed to leave a lasting impression on the streets. The drive-in, however, tells a slightly different tale...

My first "vehicle" was a clapped out 1971 Dodge window van that my grandfather bought when he retired from Dodge truck. He gave it to my father who drove it until he got tired of pouring money into it. It sat in the yard for a couple of years and when I turned 16 my dad said I could have it for the cost of repairs if I wanted it. I had to put brakes on all 4 wheels, a rebuilt 2 barrel carb, I rebuilt the ignition and that cancerous hunk of a hooptie was all mine :eek:

Latest posts

Back