Your first car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1979 trans am, big block and 2:73 gears. I never did "top it out" but I think it would 900 mph with enough road lol.

6321F556-C160-4E1B-89D9-E21A667F49B6-705-000000EDE953C9DF.jpg

That's me in the striped shirt when I was about 15. The car was gave to me and then took away from me cause I was going to kill myself lol.

1961 Ford Falcon Wagon w/ 144 I6 with a 2 speed auto trans. A buddy of mine once bet me he could beat it in a 40 yard dash and he won in his Adidas. That was 1977. Between then and 1980 I must have had about 6 cars. I traded that one for a refrigerator I needed

Were are all the O.F.'s

I'll have to do two. First build and first on the road.
28 ford cabriolet, roastered it, channeled it, complete disassemble, about a dozen wire brushes, the hand powered type and a gal. of PEP boys paint.
$15 from under a hay stack in Artesa Ca. age 14
Traded it for two 40's to make one that ran.
And i wonder why is do what i do 53 yrs later [S

Attachments

• Roadster 001.jpg
    Roadster 001.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Car 001.jpg
    Car 001.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 19
72 Plymouth Duster, 318/904..Petty blue with dog dish hubcaps. My Popa bought it for me when I was 15 for $400. Put duel exhaust, milled heads .060, got 318-4barrel iron intake off early 80s cop car+ chevy 350 Q-jet and a .441 lift PAW cam. Flat blacked the hood and added 6 pack hood scoop. Thought it was the baddest thing around cause it would lay rubber with one skinny tire for over 100 ft lol
Lord knows I miss that car..would give anything to have it back..great memories and lessons in that car. Have looked for another 72 plenty of times but seems a ragged out one now is worth $4000 with a slant 6....
Maybe one day get me another one. Have a poloroid of it but nothing on my computer.
Thats my first love..

My first car was a 70 Buick GS Stage 1 455. Loved that car. I drag raced anyone that would. Wish I never would have sold it, the guy that bought it totaled it 2 weeks after purchase. Can't afford a real stage 1 car now but looking for the right 70 GS now.

My first car was a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. My dad picked it up for about $800. It had a 6 cyl automatic and had a lovely faded out blue paint job. It was far from beautiful, but it was the cat's pajamas amongst all my friends. I was in an accident not long after I got it. Totaled out the other guys car, but only had to replace the passenger front fender and the front clip on the cutlass. She was a tank until my brother got his hands on her. I once took a curve too fast and slid off the road into a ditch and just kept on trucking. Didn't even stop to see if I had damaged anything. Aside from her being a tank, the one thing I remember about that ol car was that it had this lean to it. It leaned like I was hauling around the Big Show. Someone once thought it had hydraulics and it was stuck leaning to the passenger side. Needless to say it got me and my friends to and from where ever we were going. Parked it in the driveway when I went away to college, brother took her out for a joy ride and she was never the same after that. After his little joy ride, the cutlass was handed down to him. Then my brother ended up trading her off for a 78 Lincoln Continental. :(

Go ahead and laugh

I gave $50.00 for it and drove the wheels off it. One thing I can say for sure, my car never got me a date (probably ended a few)

1969 Opel :eek: just like the one in the pic.

Attachments

• opel.jpg
    opel.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 17
1956 Chevy 2 door post w/ Olds engine and 3 speed, bought in El Cajon, CA for $200. Couldn't get on the base at Ballast Point. in 1967

1951 Buick 2dr,

I was 14......straight 8 with a three on the tree.....black...cost me 35 bucks and drove great...minor rust which is where I cut my teeth patching holes......drivers license....we don't need no stinking drivers license....lol Can you imagine doing that today??? :eek:

Sounds like my story Sgtpontiac.
1947 chevrolet 4 dr Fleetmaster. $60.00 and drove it home. I was 14. It was 1971
My mother opened the back door to look at it and saw the passenger assist straps and said, "Oh. Heel Hangers). Wow.[ddd

Would have been TMI from my mom....lol

1947 chevrolet 4 dr Fleetmaster. $60.00 and drove it home. I was 14. It was 1971
My mother opened the back door to look at it and saw the passenger assist straps and said, "Oh. Heel Hangers). Wow.[ddd

Lets see, 1971....I was just beating the bush in a far away land....short timer and hoping get out with all my parts...obviously I made it...sorry I digress..I'd have preferred the 47 chevy over the buick..but at the time, I was happy :D

After getting my License, and even a year or two before, I had the choice each morning of driving an '87 Mustang 5.0 or a '65 chevy short bed with a 327. It was real tough.. Then my dad pulled me up out of the crunch by buying me an 1980 something s-10 pickup with a 4 cyl and 200+ miles on the ticker. After year or so of that I traded the s-10 to an older car salesman for his personal '76 Nova. My dad helped me take the 327 out of the '65 and into my Nova. Still have the Nova but, it hasn't had an engine for 16 years now!

hold your breath....a 1977 Toyota Corolla with the all aluminum 1100cc 4 cyl 4spd. At least it was a 2 door! But gas was $.84 / gal and it allowed me to work and save so I could drag home a 69 Camaro RS/SS 4spd car just missing the motor and hide a away grille. I put a 400 SBC in it but then gave it to my buddy when I joined the Marines. I gave it to him cause it was his motor and I couldn't pay him for it! We are still friends to this day[cl

Pic of my 1st, 2nd,3rd,and 6th car circa 1975. Not lined up in order though.
Torchie.

Attachments

• carpicture.jpg
    carpicture.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
Got you all beat on the cool scale. As in bottom of the cool scale - 1979 Plymouth Volare, exactly like this beauty except the top was also brown. Brown everything including burlap-like bench seats.

Had the neck-snapping slant 6 and auto, and ancient "fiberglass-belted" tires. My grandmother gave it to me when I was 15 and we drove it down from NY to VA.

One of the ugliest cars in the parking lot at high school, but it was freedom!!

Attachments

• volare.jpg
    volare.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back