Your first car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just being nosy.... [S

Moving around the country for work. Taking on other projects. I have 10 cars at the house. I aim to get on it this summer but looks like I'm taking the job opportunity in Northern California so another move. But, I'll have warmer weather year round to hit the projects. We're at 9000 feet now! My poor Nova gets covered with snow to the point that you can't tell there's a car there. My buddy was here the other day trying to count the cars and he missed a couple :D

1953 ford gasser

i got this from my brother as a stocker when i was 15. he went on to bigger and better things. we had been going to the drags and i fell in love with the gassers. i started to build it that way. i graduated high school, got a job, got married, got drafted, got another job all the while working on it. i got to be about 22 and just got tired of it and sold it off for parts. the things you do when your young and dumb. it had a straight axle, an olds 394 and hydro trans and a olds rear. i have been trying to find another one but i never find one in my price range. which is cheap or free. the bottom pic is a model i built recently of it finished. zoom it to about 200% for a real close up view.

A 55 Chevy pickup I bought off my boss for $250.00 in 1973 - T boned a 65 Pontiac a week later :(. Many rebuilds later, it looked like this in 1978. A couple of years ago I re-purposed the cab to build the Black Rat 55. Now it still cruises somewhere in northern Alberta, Canada.

Attachments

• black 55 1978 4.jpg
    black 55 1978 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
  • black 55 1978 2 ab.jpg
    black 55 1978 2 ab.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
  • june 16 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    june 16 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 19
First car(s)

The three-parter

First car - I was 15, had just come home from summer vacation with the grandparents, and my oldest brother Jeff offered me a '63 Bel Air for FREE! But at the time, my father vetoed it because there were too many of his cars in the yard already, and he still 'hated' anything GM.

First car driven (illegally) on the street: 1971 Renault R-10. I happy tagged with my dad's Renault's front license plate for 6-8 months. 1289cc's of fun? At least it was a four on the floor and had 4 wheel disc brakes. I had to start it with the jack handle (like an old Model T) because the starter was bad. Good thing I was never caught - I'd probably just now be getting my license back!

First car on the road: 1969 Dodge Dart Custom 2-door hardtop. Slant six/auto/bench seat. White with a red interior. That bench seat got me in trouble, I guess. At the time, it was perfect for dating, and like everyone else has said, to a teenager, a car meant freedom!
I gave it to my brother Jeff. Two and a half years later, his widow gave it back. It finally expired 6 years later in North Carolina. Rusted out, worn out, and blown up (rod hanging out of a big hole in the block) it made one last lap around the block where I was working, then was parted out, just shy of 149,000 miles on the clock.

I've been married almost 22 years now.

I don't marry cars. I've had more than 60, and seem to get bored and move on, or poor and sell. At least it is a lot of fun, and practical too.

440shorty

Mine is a 64 Chevy C10, it had a 11:1 327 ci, TH350 3:73 gears. Only kid in school that had to run 92 octane fuel so I never got to buy the cheap $0.98 gas. I still have the truck and just dropped in a all aluminum 5.3 LSx motor.

68' chevy Nova / II bought for 500.00 minus engine and transmission, never really got it together before the apartments I was living in hauled it off to impound. Found out a year later a buddy of mine bought the rear end out of the car at a pick a part place, he gave me the ashtray which i still have today (22 years now)

83 toyota

Mine was an 83 Toyota Pick up. Bought it for 200 bucks put a motor in it and figured out how to power brake my 5 speed. Half inch of rubber I rolled it on my way to work on a rainy day. Sold the left overs and bought a 78 Bronco. Kinda jelous of some of these first cars. I missed the good ol days

My 1st car was a truck... beater '48 Chev 3-window. Sold that for a beautiful fire engine red '52 Chev 5-window! Always loved AD's

BoB

Latest posts

Back