International KB11 Trans question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbedcowboy

Hello,

I have a 1948 International KB11 with factory air brakes (kinda rare), and all the original equipment has not been changed.

So I need help identifying what the heck all these sticks are for! There are three , plus a lever on the column.

The one on the column Ive been told is for turning off the trailer air brakes for sharp turns. Make sense since it goes into the air valve by the brake pedal.

The next stick on the floor (headed to the right), only goes forward, center, and back. The knob says "Do Not Leave in Neutral".

The middle stick, is for the 5 speed transmission and has a reverse lockout.

The far right stick has a hand lever and goes forward, center, and back only with the lever pulled in.

As far as I know the far left stick and the far right stick both run back to a "second transmission" that is bolted behind the 5speed.

This truck doesnt have a 2speed rear.

46306097415_ba4918455c_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_0330

I'm not familiar with that truck. One of the levers that only moves forward and back is most likely for a second trans, high and low range. The other may be for an extra low gear and can only be used when in low range or it is for a forward reverse box so that you have multiple speeds in reverse.

sorry I wasn't paying close enough attention. The lever all the way to the right is usually a parking brake. generally on the drive shaft. The lever on the column is used to operate the trailer brakes manually without using the tractor brakes. At least that is the way it is on newer trucks.

I drove a 59 Binder, when I was 18, that had the two sticks. One was a 5 speed main tranny and the other was a 3 speed Brown-lipe that had Over, Under and Direct.
Yours may just be Low and Direct 2 speed.

MercuryMac speaking up. My first truck was a '69 Ford, so somewhat newer but fairly similar too. Kenny is probably right on the lever beside the steering column. It is the air valve for applying the brakes only on the trailer, [if you use the foot brakes you get both the tractor and the trailer brakes working together.] The next handle to the right is quite likely the auxiliary transmission shifter, [maybe with the right knob or the wrong knob]. Look under the floor at the base of this gearshift and see if there are two rods side by side going back to that second transmission, or is there only one? If there are two you will have an 'h' or an 'H' shift pattern, [a three speed or a four speed auxiliary]. You might have an inline three speed, though, [forward centre, and back]. The next stick is as you described it, a 5 speed main. My guess on that right hand stick is it is a drum emergency brake on the back of the second trans.
Good luck with that truck.

Look under the floor at the base of this gearshift and see if there are two rods side by side going back to that second transmission, or is there only one? If there are two you will have an 'h' or an 'H' shift pattern, [a three speed or a four speed auxiliary].

It does have 2 on the aux transmission! I cant seem to get the lever to move over in an H type pattern but maybe its bound up somewhere...

Smallfoot has a good question. Maybe the righthand lever that looks like an emergency brake is actually the power take off engagement lever. The PTO housing is about softball size and bolted to the side or bottom of the transmission.
You say there are two rails coming out of the front of the auxiliary, but are there two rods fastened to them and going frontwards to the bottom of the shifter. If there are then maybe the rods have to be adjusted to centre the two neutrals. Maybe the shifter is only a single gate shifter, but if it's a double gate shifter, you should be able to see the two notched gates from the bottom. Those two notches in the gate rails at the bottom of the stick, have to line up side by side in order for the stick to move freely back and forth when both rails are in neutral. Could you take some pictures of your transmission and surrounding area?

Latest posts

Back