Oklahoma title for rat rod question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatch

I title 42ed my truck in Oklahoma and got it registered to me, started building the truck. In the process I built a new frame because the original one was trashed. Before I acquired the truck somewhere in its 79 year life, someone stamped the frame number on to the inside of the cab. That number matched the frame number of the original frame, and that's the number I used to title the truck. I now know that Ford did not stamp the bodies with the s/n, and the new frame does not have a s/n on it. I have to get the vin inspected before they will issues me the actual title. Since I used the number stamped on the body to get the title will that be sufficient to use to get the vin inspected? Has anyone in Oklahoma done the assembled vehicle title? looking at my options to get this thin on the road in the next month.

I'm not from Oklahoma but I would purchase a number stamp set and stamp the number in your new frame in the OE position to match the cab.

Most tag offices don't know much about old cars, if everything matches you shouldn't really have any trouble. If they do question something play dumb its their job to know everything. I had a buddy just put his number on a plate and rivited to the firewall, never took a second glance at it.

Also not from Oklahoma.

I suggest you tread lightly and move forward with what you have. (Chances are good, your local authorities don't know where the serial number belongs.) Stamping another number is asking for a trip to the iron bar hotel...

My Chev went by long gone engine number back in the day, (Florida). The title number starts with LAQ, and when I looked it up, it says powerglide transmission. Mine originally had manual, clutch pedal still in place under carpet. Hmmm. Titled by last few owners including me with no problem.

But here is a wackier title issue I dealt with: Back in 1985 I purchased a decent 67 Charger that had screwed up paper work. I had a gal pal that knew how to cut through the red tape, had helped me with others.

This time, the letter from DMV had no title, instead informing me car came back stolen. The actual owner is a biker in jail for murder. I got through to him in a prison phone call and I offered him 200 for the paper. He said he would rather pay his boys to blow the car up. F him.

I worked a little bit with the detectives who said I shouldn't be in possession of this car, then I gave them a tip. The guy I got the car from used to work at a tow yard that was being investigated for stolen vehicles!

Meanwhile, I knew of a very rough 67 Charger in my neighborhood. and I approached the owner and told him the story. He grabbed that car for my asking price, switched riveted ID plate, and rode off into the sunset.

Seven (7) years later, I get a letter from the DMV. In it was the title to that 67 Charger in my name. I still have it in my possession.

Don't know if this helps at all, but shows how weird the bureaucracy is

Another case for having a clear title in hand BEFORE you even turn a wrench...

I did have a clear title in my name before I turned a wrench. The DMV here will not mail the actual title to you until they do the vin inspection on a complete vehicle, I could not have a complete car with out turning a wrench on it. The truck has a valid license plate, current tags and insurance on it all in my name.

I did have a clear title in my name before I turned a wrench. The DMV here will not mail the actual title to you until they do the vin inspection on a complete vehicle, I could not have a complete car with out turning a wrench on it. The truck has a valid license plate, current tags and insurance on it all in my name.

Well it wasn't in your hand then was it?

I'm not following the backwards process of the Oklahoma DMV here. What is the justification to inspect a complete vehicle AFTER it has tags?

It seems every state has their own idea of how to do things and not many of them make a lot of sense [S
When I built the willys I ordered a replica ID plate using my birthday with some added 0's for the ID and it was never questioned. [S
Good Luck Hatch. :p

Well it wasn't in your hand then was it?

I'm not following the backwards process of the Oklahoma DMV here. What is the justification to inspect a complete vehicle AFTER it has tags?

If I waited to turn a wrench until I had the actual title in hand I would never be able to do anything with the vehicle. As for the vehicle it self it does have a stamped S/N on the cab with the stars at each end, this matches the s/n on the original frame. I'm going to go have them do the vin inspection and hopefully they will pass it. If not I will see what they say I need to do.

The reason for it is just to verify the vehicle is in the state so they don't issue a physical State title to a vehicle that is not actually in the state. That's what I was told when I asked. I bought a mustang from out of state in 06 and realized I never got the vin inspection done. It was 2011 before I got it inspected, never had an issue with renewing the tags for it.

Weird way for the state to run things, and in this case it put you in a predicament. Still not sure how they are issuing a registration without proof of ownership? [S Ohio requires a VIN inspection for vehicles brought in from out of state as well, but that paperwork must be completed before anything further is issued.

Regardless, it seems the easier way would have been to have the inspection done before you started, when the original cab and frame were both present. Then you have a clean title in hand. All current problems avoided...

I agree that would have been easier, but I talked to them when I first got the vehicle and they said they could not issue a clean title to a vehicle that was deemed unrepairable (my frame was in in 2 pieces) and spouted off some state statute. I took their word. Well during the build I have found out differently thru alot of research. So I know now for next time.

Tried to get a vin and title for my model a but they wanted it more complete before they would do it.
I am only using the cab from the model a. Everything else is built from scratch, new, or from a different vehicle.
The cab never had a vin number. The nonexistent engine had the serial number.

Ok, here is one way to title your car, albeit a controversial way to do it. (It will be about 1 minute before someone comes on and says it is not the right way, but thousands of cars are running around using this method. )Disclaimer: I am not suggesting you go this route, just relaying how some people have done it.

There are people on Ebay who sell titles. Some of them are worthless and end up just being a wall hanging. However, there are a few guys on there who sell clean, ready to transfer titles, and they are notarized and come with a notarized bill of sale. In their ad on Ebay, they will spell out that there are some people selling titles that are junk, but they guarantee theirs to work.

Now, they are not cheap. They cost from $500 on up, depending on how popular the car is........a 32 Ford title would go for a lot more. However, if it solves your problem and gets you on the road, it is absolutely worth every penny.

What you have to do when you get the title is you order a vin number plate also off of Ebay. There are vendors who sell these, and you tell them the vin number and they send you a tag with that number either etched in or stamped in it. You pop rivet that to your old car.

Then, you MAY have to have a notary come by and verify that your tag reads the same as your new title (every State is different....some do not require this step) Then, you take all of that to your local DMV and transfer the title into your name.

As far as legality and all of that, this method is not totally Kosher but we are not stealing cars and rebadging them, we are simply trying to get an old car we built back on the road.

As I said, I do not endorse this method, but I bet there are more old cars on the road because if doing this than we will ever know.

The other method is to do an "Assembled from parts" title, where you save all your receipts for major components, take that to the DMV, and hope they will issue a new title. However, sometimes your car will be titled as a 2019 car, and needs all the current emission equipment and safety equipment that a brand new car has.

Some States are easy, some are impossible.

Again, I am not suggesting anyone do this, just saying how some people have done it.

I normally agree with Don on most things, but not this.

I'm not denying that there are many people out there who have utilized the method he described, BUT - I have first hand knowledge of a sting operation that was conducted on one of these "title seller" guys, and have a good friend who was caught up in it because he purchased one from him and used it to obtain a registration in the exact method described here. Through some serious hoop-jumping and backpedaling he was able to keep his car and avoid personal trouble, but it could have easily been MUCH worse for him. Yeah it's just trying to get an old car you built on the road, but is losing that car and getting pinched by the law worth it? There is no asterisk on a felony record...

P.S. Don, it wasn't quite a minute, but I'm not as fast as I used to be. ;)

I normally agree with Don on most things, but not this.

I'm not denying that there are many people out there who have utilized the method he described, BUT - I have first hand knowledge of a sting operation that was conducted on one of these "title seller" guys, and have a good friend who was caught up in it because he purchased one from him and used it to obtain a registration in the exact method described here. Through some serious hoop-jumping and backpedaling he was able to keep his car and avoid personal trouble, but it could have easily been MUCH worse for him. Yeah it's just trying to get an old car you built on the road, but is losing that car and getting pinched by the law worth it? There is no asterisk on a felony record...

P.S. Don, it wasn't quite a minute, but I'm not as fast as I used to be. ;)

I agree with this. Nothing against Don's post or anyone that does it this way, but altering the serial number of any vehicle is fraudulent, and that's what you're doing if you do it this way. Up in Canada we don't need titles (just a serial number), but sometimes you hear people giving advice of changing a serial number of a vintage vehicle in order to get it registered.

I definitely don't support this, as in most provinces there are ways to have a serial number legally assigned, I imagine most states are the same, although at times it is difficult you also don't have to worry about someone taking your vehicle, and charging you for every crime they can in the situation.

Somebody posted a thread on how they got a title from I think NH that they then transferred to another state, I can’t remember now who it was. It was all legal, no fake numbers or title. Should be able to find the thread with a little luck....

Somebody posted a thread on how they got a title from I think NH that they then transferred to another state, I can’t remember now who it was. It was all legal, no fake numbers or title. Should be able to find the thread with a little luck....

Transferring a title from another state is legal, using a title/serial from a different vehicle is not.

Latest posts

Back