Eliminate trans powered pto, use electric motor?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Working on a 1955 Ford f600 chassis swap onto a school bus.
Truck currently has a transmission driven PTO.
The bus has PTO provisions, however not sure if it actually has the gear inside or not. Looking around, it’s a pricy endeavor to add a gear if it doesn’t have it, and I havnt been able to source a pto unit for this trans yet.
Allison MT634

Can install an electric motor via pull or chain to the hydraulic pump for my dump bed? My fear is it pulls too much power to be electric.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• D5977E7C-5C3E-4933-839A-A2AD5CBD33F1.jpg
    D5977E7C-5C3E-4933-839A-A2AD5CBD33F1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18
  • C6DF4761-A81A-484A-B1CF-5FAA60B3CF23.jpg
    C6DF4761-A81A-484A-B1CF-5FAA60B3CF23.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 18
You may be able to get an electric hydraulic motor. It would have to have a good sized tank by by the looks of the size of the cylinders. it might not be fast going up but it would work. Try Surplus Center, they may have something.

As far as the PTO most run off of an existing gear in the trans. If you have the trans tag you can go to a company like Cocroft and they can hook you up with a PTO.

As far as the PTO most run off of an existing gear in the trans. If you have the trans tag you can go to a company like Cocroft and they can hook you up with a PTO.

My research is showing that this particular trans always has the gear in it for the PTO EXCEPT bus trans.
I tried looking for a tag, but it’s awfully messy down there :)
I just need to take the cover off and see if there is a gear or a tone ring.

Welcome back Jml,
I am facing a similar dilemma, a '36 Ford two ton that I'm going to put a grain box on. The truck has the original transmission so has the rectangular hole for a PTO. I might have found a PTO housing and then again I might not. My original idea was to yank out the stock flathead motor and install a 460 and automatic trans, so I would have to get creative for a pump drive. For the first few years I'll be using the flatty and the four speed.
I'll be watching for your solution, and learning.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 13
Welcome back Jml,
I am facing a similar dilemma, a '36 Ford two ton that I'm going to put a grain box on. The truck has the original transmission so has the rectangular hole for a PTO. I might have found a PTO housing and then again I might not. My original idea was to yank out the stock flathead motor and install a 460 and automatic trans, so I would have to get creative for a pump drive. For the first few years I'll be using the flatty and the four speed.
I'll be watching for your solution, and learning.

That’s a fanstsic lookin truck Mac!

Our trucks are quite similar.

If I could get some info on this pto drive, I could figure out what HP it takes......but unfortunately I’m in the dark as there really isn’t any marking on it that I can find.

I was also looking at engine driven pto’s, but I’m afraid I won’t have much room to smash more crap under the hood of this trucks once it’s on the frame.
Have you checked out my build?
It’s all only in concept at this point. Still working out feasibility, but I already have a few busses. And one is getting cut up anyways. So somethings gonna happen :)

Could you run it off the power steering pump. I did that for a 8’ blade I had on a truck and a spear on the back to carry a round bale

Oh yes, Jml, I've been watching your build. I like Smallfoots suggestion and it reminded me of the two electric/hydraulic systems that I already have. One is my car hoist in the shop, [110v though], and one is my hotrodded trailing garden rotovator. I never liked the 5hp motor on the rotovator so when it blew up I took a 16hp motor off my grain auger and that rotovator came alive. At the end of the garden when I had to turn around on the lawn to go back the other way I realized that a motor that is three times as powerful, is three times as heavy and I couldn't lift it out of the ground manually so I had to put hydraulics on the rotovator -------- and patch up the lawn.
I've never tried gassers idea but I believe it will work. I want to try it on an old tractor.

Could you run it off the power steering pump. I did that for a 8’ blade I had on a truck and a spear on the back to carry a round bale

I think I read something about the power steering pump deal too! Would it provide enough volume to operate a large cylinder for a dump?

I think it would be slower than the pump that’s there,the power steering pump on the bus should fairly good volume and pressure,depending on the load in the box

Geared correctly, I'd think that snow plow pump motor or for that matter a starter motor could easily turn a hydraulic pump... I'm sure there is someone on the site that has the engineering ability to compute what gearing would be needed to turn a pump designed to produce sufficient pressure to power the dump box... but I'm sure you'd have to have the pumps max pressures and such but it might be the volume of fluid required to be moved might be the deciding factor... Now I'm confused....lol [S

Geared correctly, I'd think that snow plow pump motor or for that matter a starter motor could easily turn a hydraulic pump... I'm sure there is someone on the site that has the engineering ability to compute what gearing would be needed to turn a pump designed to produce sufficient pressure to power the dump box... but I'm sure you'd have to have the pumps max pressures and such but it might be the volume of fluid required to be moved might be the deciding factor... Now I'm confused....lol [S

Yeah I’m not hydraulic engineer either. All I know is the thingy thingy turns, and when I pull the lever, the round thingies push the bed up. I just need to find another way to turn the turny thing 🤣

Northern Tool and some others sell a number of 12volt and 24volt electric hydraulic pumps with motors and reservoirs .... just a thought...

I built a scissor lift under the bed of this truck and used a 12 volt electric over hydraulic, power up and free flow down pump with a 1.5 gal reservoir that worked great. The free flow down is faster than the power down (you could incorporate both in the system)
The cylinder was 16 inches long with a 3.5" diameter.
The bed would go up twice as high as the pic shows.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0920171344a.jpg
    0920171344a.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 0919171714a.jpg
    0919171714a.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0915171518_HDR.jpg
    0915171518_HDR.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 37
I installed a lot of DewEze and Muncie Power belt-driven clutch pumps when I was a truck equipment mechanic, and they worked great. Put it in neutral, flip the switch and get all the hydraulic pressure you need. I am sure there is a kit available for your engine. Routing the hoses can sometimes be a pain, but on that truck you should have plenty of room...

Latest posts

Back