Carb Spacers, Are They A Good Idea?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

When I was putting the new manifold on my 305 Chevy engine, I didn't have any studs handy, so I used a two inch spacer that I could install with quarter inch bolts that i had handy. The spacer is the wide open kind. Yesterday, I read that this is good for high end power, but I also got the impression that it is not so good for cruising, which I know will be the primary function of this vehicle. That said, the installation looks cool, but will it be the best fit for what my truck will be doing. Or am I just worrying about nothing?

This is just an opinion, Skip, but I think you're worrying about one horsepower difference, that you won't even notice. If it looks cool, works good and is what you had, run it.
As you mature, Skip, you'll find that some coffee-shop wisdom should be sifted through and culled aggressively. You must be too dang young, if you worry about insignificant power loss when you have fifty horses in excess in a hotrod.
Go For It.

Thanks, MM. I'll leave it as is for now. See what happens.

As for maturing, at my age, I am already in regression. :D

You know the rules... photos or it didn't happen! [ddd

This is just an opinion, Skip, but I think you're worrying about one horsepower difference, that you won't even notice. If it looks cool, works good and is what you had, run it.
As you mature, Skip, you'll find that some coffee-shop wisdom should be sifted through and culled aggressively. You must be too dang young, if you worry about insignificant power loss when you have fifty horses in excess in a hotrod.
Go For It.

What he said!!!

BoB

The only time I ever had to use a spacer, it was to correct a fuel heating issue. I had one that occasionally would vapor lock and a spacer made it quit for me. I never noticed much difference on how it ran...

Finally, My camera has a battery. Here is a shot of the $25 Carter sitting on top of the $5 spacer.

BTW We fired it today, and it actually works.

Attachments

• P6270235.jpg
    P6270235.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 35

it should not make much of a difference if the intake is a dual plane, fuel still goes thru the manifold pretty much in the same way with the spacer moving the carb up, l think it looks cool with the spacer.

Later :cool:

We usually use a 1/2" or 1" phenolic spacer under a heat shield to reduce heat transfer to the carb, then put the carb on top. I don't think that 2" spacer will help drivability but it might not make a big noticeable difference.

if it is a 4 hole spacer, you might gain a few lbs-ft of low end torque, if it is 1 big square hole it will kill a s___t load of low rpm torque but may give you a little higher top rpm.

the only reason to run a 2" 1 hole spacer is if you are class restricted to a very small cfm carb, the big open plenum will act as a reservoir of fuel mixture so there is less restriction for each cylinder to draw from. this is why you don't see them on the street.

Latest posts

Back