A penetrating oil tip!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... don't know if you've ever seen Farm Show magazine... it's a lil rag of articles of kool & krazy things people build on the farm etc. They did a test to see what penetrating oil works best.

Here are the results...

One of the most popular articles FARM SHOW has ever run was a short piece reporting on the results of a test of penetrating oils in Machinist’s Workshop magazine (Vol. 34, No. 3). The winner turned out to be a home brewed 50/50 mix of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. It beat out Liquid Wrench, WD-40 and other popular “rust busters”.

https://www.farmshow.com/

BoB

I read about that about a year ago and their findings are the best.
I actually think there was a post about it on here.

Does the trannie fluid prevent the acetone from evaporating, or does it need to have more added from time to time?

You don't have to add any but, you do have to shake it before use because, it separates in the sealed bottle.

Only thing that even comes close is Kroil.... and honestly I'm not convinced that it isn't the 50/50 mix of TF and Acetone...Kroil is just too expensive to be spraying all over....

everything old is new again.

we were using this 50/50 acetone/atf mix way back in the 70's as a starting fluid, rusted cylinder cure.

pour it down the carb while turning motor, if it would move or just pouring as much as we could get in thru the spark plug hole, let soak, repeat.

scary good results.

Picked up a 1964 polara last weekend was parked in a cattle shed in 1994 put a four foot bar on the front of crankshaft it wouldn’t move pulled the plugs poured in atf and acetone two days hit the key spinning free should have checked for seized valve bent one pushrod

I tried it on a big piano style door hinge on Mrs Tripper's trailer door! Already tried a couple things to no avail! The 50/50 solution worked like a charm... I'm impressed!!! [cl

BoB

Anyone tried this?

65457097_10217314560428704_3499402081331052544_n.jpg

Never tried the acetone mix...atf works great on it's own. Another tip I have employed storing carburetors...fill the float bowls with atf and all the gaskets will never dry out or shrink. When ready to use again simply empty and bolt on.

Latest posts

Back