steering stabilizer question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow,I've had this wobble issue with my binder since it was built hit a hard dip,rough manhole cover etc. it goes to shaken' stomp on the brakes and your good to go till the next one. I just got a stablizer from so-cal but need to change the tie rod to the back again hope it works.. once you get the shakes a 35 plus it's hard to get away from that spooky feelin'....chip............

Hehe, death wobble will wake you up real quick and you keep wondering when it is going to happen again. :eek:

Here are some other things to look at that might help:

1) Caster. Every car is different, some like more caster and some like less. If you are using Ford spindles a good starting point is 6 degrees up to maybe 9 degrees. Chevy spindles usually like less, like 4 to 6 degrees.

2) Toe in. Most people say 1/16 toe in but I have seen some cars work better with more or less, and sometimes even TOE OUT works better.

3) Shocks are a biggie in controlling DW. If the shocks are slightly worn a new pair can sometimes work wonders. Also how they are mounted can affect their ability to control each wheel.

There are so many other factors, like worn kingpins or other parts, sloppy steering, out of round rims, and tires, that it sometimes takes a lot of work and playing around to fix the problem. Sometimes even swapping the front tires side to side can help. Air pressure can also play into it, my 27 works best with 26 in the front, if I go higher the tires want to bounce a little.

Don

wobble

I am not sure if this applies or not. Just my recent experience. My 2005 explorer had a wobble at slow speed 0-20 and started again at around 65. Took it to the tire shop where I purchased my tires where they said it was fine. [S Took it to my brother in laws shop. He found the passenger rear tire was coming apart from the inside.:eek: Bought 4 tires from my brother in law, its all good now[cl

with my death wobble! i went over the front end, again and again, stil do it !!! wat my problem was!/? no shocks!! put shocks on and 70 miles a hour slide sideways into the parking lot you name it no problem at all!!!from then on!

I had that problem with my speedster. Installed front panhard and now it's rock solid. I had also checked everything 10 times and even increased caster to 10 degrees. The entire front end & tires were all brand new.

I bought a damper but haven't needed it since front panhard.

[clMy '46 rat had a hop and shake that defied motorhead wizards. Everything checked good but it still hopped. a motorcycle mechanic suggested running a line of powdered chalk on a level road, rolling the car over it and lowering the pressure to where the chalk covers the tire evenly. Low and behold my fronts set at 22psi and the rear at 18psi. Lowr'ed be praised! My rat rides as smooth as whipped cream. Who'd a thunk it?

Here's my problem. At speeds below 40 the car drives fine, anything over 40 and the front end wants to jump back and forth, up and down. New tires. Kingpins seem tight.
I installed shocks today and the problem it still there. Front end is set at 7 degrees with 1/8 toe in.
Going in the morning to have the tires rebalanced and check for out of round in the tires and rims.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Here's my problem. At speeds below 40 the car drives fine, anything over 40 and the front end wants to jump back and forth, up and down. New tires. Kingpins seem tight.
I installed shocks today and the problem it still there. Front end is set at 7 degrees with 1/8 toe in.
Going in the morning to have the tires rebalanced and check for out of round in the tires and rims.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Try toeing it out 1/8 inch, see what that does!!

Problem solved Rainman. I had it toed in instead of out. Kinda hard to do by youself I guess so while at the tire shop one of the guys there help me get it in line and we rebalanced the tires. Drives great now. Course I haven't had over 55 yet but so far so good. Also I have a couple of rims that have a slight out of round to them so I will be looking for more. Thanks for your info, you nailed it buddy.
[cl:D

Good deal, we all have to remember we're building these things from scratch!!
Sometimes we just have to play with them to find out what they want!
There are no majic numbers, or settings that will work for every ride!
[cl[cl
Hope it works, you may have to play with it and find what works best!!

So far so good. Handles like a go-cart....:D At 60 mph its smooth as a kitten.
The new shocks did help alot also. Thanks for the advise.:)

My 23 was developing a death wobble situation after driving it for a couple of years. I took the front chrome shocks off and could compress and extend them with hardly any effort, they had just worn out. I bought a new set from Speedway and the problem went away. The weak shocks were not dampening out the front wheel bounces letting them finally get way out of control to the point of DW.

Don

Latest posts

Back