Straight axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swflrat

Looking at doing a straight axle front on my rat rod, and coming up to no avail for old front suspension. If i go new parts say front i beam axle and stuff, what would be the break down I.E Straight front axle, Spindles (Ford or Chevy which is better?) what else would i need probably go with disc brakes in front and also steering. Revers Vega or Corvair is basically what I'm seeing, and pan hard bar correct. Just looking for a break down of what I need and a fairly priced website or catalog to get parts. Thanks everybody

Edit. possible go air bags front and rear

Speedway has some good diagrams that show the difference between "traditional style" and "cross style" steering. Not sure if they are on their website, but the catalogs are free and have all kinds of good info.

Ron from RPM did mine for my altered and the price was great and it is really well made. Very heavy tubing, not the cheap stuff you get some places.

Don

Sorry my bad being newbie and all I did mean a dropped I beam. As I'm looking to do one on my 32 studebaker what all components do I need other then the obvious front I beam. Is there a parts break down out there somewhere?

I take it this is your first go round with this type of suspension setup (we've all been there).
You're better off just buying the whole kit from whoever you choose. This will assure you get all the parts needed and they will work together.
Then if you decide to do another project, you will have your parts list so you can build it from scratch.
When considering a used axle, there's some things to think about. The biggest is the king pin bushings in each end. These are pressed in then, reamed to fit the new king pins. Not a cheap process just ask the guys that have done it. (used axle+new king pin kit+machine work= Not cheap) a new axle can be purchased for the total sum of the used one.

The following images are just for a list of parts needed
Hope this helps
91639517_L_1579038e.jpg

Spindles
91032104_L.jpg

Brake kit
91031909_L.jpg

Thanks for the heads up i gave up looking for used front I tried my buddies at French Lake Auto and they didnt have one or one they wanted to part with. And decided to go ahead and purchase a kit, would you all recommend Chevy or Ford spindles, as in which would be a more dependable spindle i can get adapter plates for what ever rim i decide to put on it

The rotors decide what wheels will bolt up. speedway has kits for ford bolt pattern and kits for chevy bolt patterns that will go on ford transverse sprung type axles with ford spindles. there are other companys that make axle that take other spindles and hub and brake kits.

His first 5-6 words says he is lokking for a straight axle... "Looking at doing a straight axle front on my rat rod"

And in the second sentence he said he wanted an I beam.

Which if that is the case and you buy either a aftermarket axle or a dropped original you will be using Ford spindles. Plenty of disc setups available for them with the bolt pattern of your choice...

Latest posts

Back