Chassis fishplates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that wb3 might be right...

I wish I had an engineers education. There is so much that most of us just guess at. And we think if the plate is thicker or we make it all heavier, that it's better. Often it is not. One thing I try to maintain is keeping any welding perpendicular to the frame to a minimum. A weld all the way across a frame section is a fracture line. Especially worse on the bottom where the joint is in extension. I like the oval reinforcements, seems like they spread the stress better and leave very little straight line perpendicular stress points. Although I think it might be better if all one piece because you have that space in between where it has been hot from welding and you really don't know the metallurgy of a factory frame.

Although I have to agree the two smaller ovals would look better than one big plate....might have a point about the frame...but again, I'm not an engineer either.....but whatever gets you checked and good to go....make em happy....

Latest posts

Back