Tunnel ram and long road trips

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

Anyone running a tunnel ram and still driving long distances? I’ve got a tunnel ram set up with 2 Holley 450’s that I’ve been wanting to put on. The only thing holding me back is I’ve got a long road trip coming up (3000+ miles). My truck runs great now so I kinda don’t want to mess with it. It would look a lot better with a tunnel ram though.

Yeah that’s kinda how I feel about it. I’ve just had it sitting around for quite awhile but just haven’t done anything with it. Basically I’m getting the itch to change things up.

I'd say that if it runs good... why not?

Sure it might use a wee bit of fuel but I agree with Kenny... do a short run, get some stat's and see what she's doing mileage wise... might be better than you think... if the tune is good and the carbs set up right...

If they're old Holleys (not in the box new) put kits in them then, try each one on the engine you have now to make sure both are good.

If ya have time to swap it and test it good, tune it up and go for it. I'm just in from a good trip today, although it was not like the trip you're planning, it was pretty good ride. I went to a knife show in Lakeland, which is about 2 hours drive. I took off during rush hour traffic and came home in rush hour traffic on roads here that have nicknames for the danger...
Nothing like it. Interstate traffic....speed limit 70....average speed about 85 and I'm in the slow lane. You can just about hear the people in the other cars...." DANG Mildred, we just got passed by an 87 year old A Model"...:eek:

Whil not exactly a tunnel ram. my 2 2barrels get close to 30 driving sensible in a 1900 lb car. Sideways mounted and both with idle and running all the time, shouldn't be much different that 4 bbl carbs running on primarys.

Latest posts

Back