vintage tool/ equiptment thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

i have a thing with old tools and equipment and i am sure i am not the only one lol. i use these tools all the time, post what you have

vintage pexto roll forming station. from the 1920's ( might be for sale for the right price)

DSCN6275_zps50469a10.jpg

DSCN6276_zps8126b9f9.jpg

a shot of my 40's Niagara 10 ft brake

DSCN5978.jpg

my nibbler jr reciprocating hammer from the 50's

DSCN4940-1.jpg

my old logan lathe from the late 50's

Picture394.jpg

this is one of my 40's brake liner riveting machines i have 2 different styles but only one pic. sorry for the side ways pic, it wont let me rotate it

Picture392.jpg

this one is an early ford rear drum puller from the 50's

Picture392.jpg

I can not pass up small old jacks and wrenches and to look at the craftsmenship that they built these tools with is so basic but is an art.
You on the other hand go for the big stuff.
What do you charge to build a z'ed frame just wondering.

If I ever get back to mom and pops house I will get some pics of the older tools there that I use. Dad has an old belt driven drill press (HUGE!) and probably my favorite, I think my Grandpa built (gone now can't ask him) a little power hack saw.

At the farm I worked for they had what we called the mighty Pells, an old fly wheel driven punch press/shear/notcher and up in the barn there was basically a small machine shop. There was a motor mounted in a loft that had belts coming off it, one to a lathe, one to a mill, one to a drill press. You would engage the clutch by the machine to run which ever one you wanted. They all worked fairly well too, but we didn't use them much.

I have an old Machinst tool box I take to the shows with my Nash, I display as part of the show... top is filled with vintage hand tools, & small antique "what's it's" I have a model T / A period tire plug tool ( like 1919 patent ) that is supposed to use rubber bands... have heard it may have been a bicycle tool, not sure when they started using tubeless on cars... I have a 1938 pin stripping tool, an air guage in original leather pouch, several Nash wrenches...

the drawers are filled with tools I use, & I just display the top section... I have a collection of old gas cans, a 1 gallon antifreeze can, etc. that I put out with the tool box...

I would love to have some of the equipment pictured... my buddy that runs an old time fab shop, has alot of that kind of stuff, he'll let me work on, while he's working on other stuff, so I get to play once in a while

this is one of my 40's brake liner riveting machines i have 2 different styles but only one pic. sorry for the side ways pic, it wont let me rotate it

Picture392.jpg

this one is an early ford rear drum puller from the 50's

Picture392.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Her ya go

attachment.php

I also have a mate to your Logan lathe

Attachments

• Cornfield.jpg
    Cornfield.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
its hard to describe its full mechanical operation, but you step on the pedal and it moves the top die down and crushes the rivet.

also i just realized it didnt post the pic of the drum puller, i will see if i can dig it up again

Brake riviter question

An old surplus horder died in my home town and I asked about any large tools he migh have left be hind when his kids were saling and scrapping. One was a brake riveter / vertical drum sander didnt buy it cause I knew I'd never use it or have room. Still don't get what they are for

how about a 1949 Southbend lathe? I inherited it from my father. It has a 16" throw and a 48" bead. Weighs about 2 tons.

ResizedImage_1361998827094.jpg

Old machinery

My Yoder Power Hammer!
In the middle of machining my own tooling. I bought this as ready to run. It was far from it, it has a cool paint job but mechanically was a basket case.
Now it just needs tooling!

Attachments

• IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 28
10" Logan lathe 1947, 13" South Bend 1919, 60's or 70's Bridgeport (2 of them) 1940's Cincinnati #2 tool grinder, Cincinnati drill pointer, Harig 612 surface grinder (old but not sure age)

Couldn't find some of the pics

Attachments

• drill pointer.jpg
    drill pointer.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00821.JPG
    DSC00821.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00823.JPG
    DSC00823.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 122.jpg