4.5 BP Hubs For 37-48 Spindles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old28

Does anyone out there know were I can get a set of front hubs with 4.5 (sm ford) bolt pattern?

Do not want aluminum, disk or brake drums, just the plan hub.

They need to fit Ford 37-48 spindles.

Speedway has a set but only in 5.5 BP.

I have the hubs as shown in the two photos. One has a raised stud mounting area on the back, the other does not.

I was hoping to find a pair with the 4.5 BP as I do not have a good drill press or the pattern maker to re-drill.

Any one do the re-drilling & stud installation that I could contact?

Attachments

• 53 Hubs 4-27-11.jpg
    53 Hubs 4-27-11.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 26
get another like the RH one in the RH picture, (flat back side) and have them redrilled to 4.5".

any competent machinist should be able to do it.

you may need to grind off part of the bolt head to clear raised area of the hub.

Wish it was that easy, first off I don't have any idea what the right hand hub is off of, got these two out of SC a few years ago for the Vintage Dragster.

Second, I'm in the liability law suit capital of this country and you can't find a machine shop that will make modifications like that in this state, the lawyers have taken care of that.

My only solution is to find them done or send them off to someone out of the area that can do the work for me.

you are not going to find a stock set of hubs with 5 on 4.5 since ford only ran 5 on 5 ( except for wide five drums). you are going to have to have them machined. people in CA will do them. find someone who does a Buick fin drum conversion and they should do it. if you want to ship them to me i will do them

Couple of viable options here. First, open the phone book and call every machine shop in the area (you may have to drive a little ways to get it done), someone should be able to drill them. There are a couple of shops that'll drill 'em up here in the Bay Area.

Second, Ebay has tons of adapters. Kinda looks like yours are 4-3/4" chevy bolt circle, I could be wrong. The gold chainer hot rodders frown on adapters however, millions of adapters have been made for 40 years......they must work. Oh yeah, I've got 'em on the roadster!

Third, the Turlock swap is coming up at the end of January. You will
find them there........cheap!

Last but not least, take Cornfield Customs up on his offer. You can fit your hubs in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box and ship 'em for less than $15. Get 'er done!

BlueNorther -- Old CA does have some faults & I'm sure Minnesota does to but I ain't leaving an area that I can race my Vintage Dragster 11 months out of the year. It's 65 and clear today. By the way thanks for your help with the 94 carbs, should be able to Test/Tune in a few weeks.

JBailey -- They really need to be drilled & new studs pressed in. They go on my vintage dragster and NHRA Tech at or track don't like to see adapters on open wheel race cars. Will get them done.

cornfield customs --Thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM later on getting them done.

2.3Turbo_T -- Thanks for the reminder on Turlock in January. Maybe I can find another pair and have them done so I can keep the 5 on 5.5 set with the 17" rims I have on it now.

Does anyone know what year that flat back hub is and what it was on?

Thanks to all

Tom, I tried to send a reply to your PM couple times and it isn't working right. No doubt, it's me that is the problem.

A good friend runs a machine shop at his home and can do the work. I doubt he can match Cornfield Custom's price as he mainly repairs molds and makes a lot of money doing that.

If you call the rod building shops in your area I'm sure they can refer you to a machine shop they use for that kind of work.

I would be looking for a set of old brake drums with that bolt pattern. The drums come off of the hubs. Most all of the 60s Fords had that pattern and don't forget a lot of Mopars had that pattern also. Finding wheel bearings to adapt them should not be any problem at all. Quicker and easier then trying to redrill them.

Thanks guys for all the help, I am going to have (cornfield customs) do them or another pair if I can find them. Still would like to know what the flat back side was on and the year.

bobw -- Sent you a PM

RPM -- That's another good idea

Latest posts

Back