Small Engine Repair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neto

My Craftsman power washer has a Tecumseh Enduro overhead valve 6.0 HP engine. I bought it used, but I have always used the “recreational” gas, and it usually starts with no big issues.
This Spring I got it out and it started up pretty easily, with just a bit of gas spritzed in the carb. My wife was washing off the deck and wanted to stop for a bit to move things around. I gassed it up again, and then it wouldn’t start again. Not really even try more than just slightly. I even tried ether, and that wouldn’t get it going, either. It’s got spark, gets gas. What could be the problem? And even if I had flooded it (which it probably was by the time I got wore out from pulling the cord), several weeks later I took the power washed pump off and tried again. Still won’t really try.
Does it sound like stuck valves? Carb issues? Why would it have run fine, then just not start up again right after shutting it down? (Or even later, when it had plenty of time to cool down.)

Pour some of your gas in a clear container and check for water or other fluid mixed in. I've seen quite a few pieces talking about some poor fuel being pumped at stations lately.

I would take the bowl off the cab and see if the float is stuck and if there is any crap in it. I think the bowl is held on by 1 bolt maybe allen head. I bought a new mower and I think I am going to try to run they clean gas they sell at Depot and Lowe's. We will see how much I use. If it is a couple gallons a season I will but it will get expensive fast. Jim

Pour some of your gas in a clear container and check for water or other fluid mixed in. I've seen quite a few pieces talking about some poor fuel being pumped at stations lately.

I did wonder about the gasoline, as I had just bought it at the local station that sells the recreational gas. But I'm running other engines on the same gas (from the same purchase). Still have to wonder a bit though.

I would take the bowl off the cab and see if the float is stuck and if there is any crap in it. I think the bowl is held on by 1 bolt maybe allen head. I bought a new mower and I think I am going to try to run they clean gas they sell at Depot and Lowe's. We will see how much I use. If it is a couple gallons a season I will but it will get expensive fast. Jim

I did have the carb off, cleaned it out a bit, and took the float off to look at the float valve. Everything looked OK, but I'm not a small engine mechanic, either.

I could take it to a small engine shop here in the area, but several years back I took an engine to them & just asked them to look at the cylinder walls, to tell me if it needed to be bored out, valves reground, or what-not, and they completely dismantled the whole thing - every single part taken out. Not what I asked for. So I'm reluctant to do business w/ them again.

I always try to fire it off with starting fluid. That tells me alot. Even with bad gas it fires if it has spark.

I usually avoid using ether (just use one of those little printer ink bottles with the steel nozzle to spray in a bit of gasoline), but I did also try the ether, but it still won't run.

I just can't think of what would cause it to not start again after running fine, then just shutting it down and refueling. I hadn't thought about if the fuel cap breather is clogged, but I would think it would run for a bit at least, what with spraying in gasoline or ether.

check flywheel key if key sheared timing is off will spark but not run

Thanks for your response. That is something I had not thought of. And I haven't gotten it going yet, either. Resurrected an old electric power washer to take care of things this Spring. I'll check this out, maybe if I get some time next Saturday. (Work keeps me really busy during the week.)

Latest posts

Back