A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While looking at the pictures I did notice a problem. The bottom rad outlet rose up 2 3/8" and a hose will not contort to fix that surprise. Hmmmm.

Can you shorten the water neck on the engine, or is un-weldable?

28, a picture of said coupe for you.
Bama, it is weldable but it is right under the fan belt so I can't lift it. I have to lower the rad outlet and that may be unweldable castiron.
Here is the baffle plate that sticks up from the top of the rad. I cut it down 2 1/2" and primed it. It was cracked in one place from vibration so I welded it up.
On the rad shroud I widened out one side some more and painted the back side of the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18
28, yes and no, the '34 Plymouth coupe is in progress but I better finish the '34 Dodge Brothers truck next, which is also in progress; after I finish the Massey-Harris. I had lost sight of my own rule to 'do one project at a time', and started many, so now I'm striving to finish a bunch of them, before I start another one. I haven't mentioned fixing up my old '68 Super Bee that I courted my wife in. It's also 'in progress'.
When you wander off the path all higgley-piggley, it's hard to straighten up your act and get a single direction again.

OK, I'm bearing down on this tractor, somewhat.
Here's the painted up radiator mocked up. I took the outlet off the bottom and made a new different shaped one. In my stash of rad hoses I found a ninety degree bend in the right size of hose, so I cut it off at the right length, [I hope].
I threw the hood on top to see how it fit. Another surprise was apparent, immediately. The gas tank is too high in the front.

Attachments

• IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2985.jpg
    IMG_2985.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
Yes and no, OI. The front gas tank mounting bracket is stock for the tractor, but it bolts to the bellhousing, which is not stock to this tractor. I will have to cut the bracket down to bring down the tank front, about an inch. This 'Chrysler powered Massey' turned out to be much like building a hotrod, always little surprises to overcome.

In the picture you will see my homemade bottom rad outlet ready to bolt on, when the paint dries. I even made a gasket for it.
Here's the hood mocked up and at a weird angle. I took the hood back off and took the bracket out from under the front of the tank and lowered the tank with a jack until I liked the slant. After measuring and eye-balling the new bracket distance, I came up with a plan and executed it. I only lowered the tank a strong 1/2". The only way I can see to test my new bracket length is to put it back together and mount the hood again.

Attachments

• IMG_2987.jpg
    IMG_2987.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 16
Thank you, Guys.
I did small things today, like hunting for a water drain petcock for the lowest point in the bottom hose/pipe, with no success.
I bolted up my new rad outlet and mounted the 90* rubber hose, [first pic].
There should be a lower wind baffle at the bottom of the airflow to the rad, so I found one, fixed it up a wee bit, painted it and bolted it on there, along with a small crank bracket. [second pic]. I don't have a crank and the crank nut in the front of the crankshaft has morphed into a drive mechanism for my hydraulic pump; but I have a crank centering bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 19
Today I remounted the gas tank bracket and that seemed to work out nicely. I threw the hood back on and the grille to check alignment. Also, while the hood is on there I measured the open space under the hood and made some plans for the air-cleaner and the hydraulic tank. It's a way harder to work under there but it makes the planning work out better. Anyhow, I got a plan for the air-cleaner, the Massey-Harris one this time, and started to mold it into a shape that will fit under the hood, behind the motor, in front of the gas tank, and have the intake poke up through the hole in the hood and the outlet be available to the carburetor.

Attachments

• IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back