Safety

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Today i was replacing the front brake shoes on the 66 chevy C10 and was shocked to find the tie rod not even finger tight. ( i have never driven this truck ) In fact the 2 bolts on the adjuster sleve had only just been hanging in there!

All to often i have saw some thing not bolted correctly or missing fasteners. Cars or trucks on jacks no jack stand or block in sight.

Okay just remember it not just us on the roads we all have to think about the other person driving out there and cars and truck do fall off jacks, it happened to me when i was 16!

Be safe

52 fordman

When my dad was 18 he had a scout fall on his legs. He was doing rear brakes and was straddling the hub. When it fell the leaf spring cought both knee caps. He had dual cast for the summer.

Could of been a lot worse tho.

good catch!

Side note: do you have a front spring kicking around? I have a set I am trying to ID (see the ID this thread) and it looks like a 66 1/2 ton front spring. Just need diamentions.

Safety can never be stressed enough...

Always good to remind people of that.....even if they sometimes do not heed the warnings....:eek:

My worst: "It'll only take a second - I don't need to put on my safety gear."
I'm getting better at it [ddd

truckside.jpg

My girlfriend loves to help :D

car-jack.jpg

I'm really horrible about maintaining my cars, both daily drivers and hot rods. When I was getting ready to race my 27 at Billetproof I thought I should nut and bolt the whole car and check things like wheel bearings, etc. I was shocked to find my transmission bolts were loose, as were the bolts holding the shifter to it. Even the bolts that hold my radius rods onto the frame needed tightening.

It was kind of an eye opener.:eek:

Don

On a side note: when I was tearing the lower A Arms out of my 1950 GMC project (1990 C1500 chassis) I was shocked to find there was no cotter pin in the drivers side upper ball joint nut. [S I originally bought the truck from a mechanic who had done most of the work to it. I now feel better about touching / modifying every part of the truck. Now I know it is done right.

Over the years I've met a number amateur rod builders with missing fingers, etc. whose stories were typically the same. The most common mishaps were as a result of not using jack stands but welders, saws, grinders and air chisels have also been mentioned. The same can't be said for most professional mechanics who were properly trained to respect the laws of physics.

Another thing most people don't do......... when you put a car on ramps, block the rear wheels too. If the parking pin isn't in that good of shape it WILL roll back down.

Latest posts

Back