Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice wheels, ZZ!

I saw a thread on the piggy forum today where the guy made a new set of American Racing torque thrusts look like vintage mag wheels with some grinding, blasting, and powdercoating. I can't find it at the moment, but they looked wicked.

Nice wheels, ZZ!

I saw a thread on the piggy forum today where the guy made a new set of American Racing torque thrusts look like vintage mag wheels with some grinding, blasting, and powdercoating. I can't find it at the moment, but they looked wicked.

I saw that. I thought they looked awful. I can see maybe the centers, but he should have at least left the polished rim. And no center caps, looked cheap to me. Only way I'd be without a center cap would be if I lost one.

If it don't, shine, I don't want it on mine!:D

Glad to hear that the surgery is over and you're on the recovery road.
We're still having trouble getting part for our builds too. The main one is the machine shop we switched to is taking forever but, they do good work so it's a trade off.

Hey ZZ.... Late to the party here. Lots of medical crap going on here and I've not been following as much as I'd like. Sorry to hear about the surgery but glad you are on the mend. Just relax, take your meds, drink plenty of water and ice is always good. I have something called an Ice Machine.....ice or frozen bottles in a cooler connected to a cuff with a pump. it's way better than ice. I feel bad I missed this, your always there for my build questions :( I have my second shoulder surgery set for Jan 26th...... arrrg.

Stay Well

Hey ZZ.... Late to the party here. Lots of medical crap going on here and I've not been following as much as I'd like. Sorry to hear about the surgery but glad you are on the mend. Just relax, take your meds, drink plenty of water and ice is always good. I have something called an Ice Machine.....ice or frozen bottles in a cooler connected to a cuff with a pump. it's way better than ice. I feel bad I missed this, your always there for my build questions :( I have my second shoulder surgery set for Jan 26th...... arrrg.

Stay Well

Thanks Coup
Yes, I have the ice machine, called a cryo cooler with the wrap around unit for the knee, really helps after doing physio.

I saw that. I thought they looked awful. I can see maybe the centers, but he should have at least left the polished rim. And no center caps, looked cheap to me. Only way I'd be without a center cap would be if I lost one.

If it don't, shine, I don't want it on mine!:D

It all depends what look you're going for. He wanted the magnesium look, which wouldn't have a polished lip. I don't know I'd have the guts to take a grinder to new wheels myself.

Got to work today on the re-do of the engine mounts - hated the way it looked before :mad:
The suspension redesign and relocation of the steering box made it possible to create something better, while I was at it, I made the center of the crossmember removeable. First pic is the before setup...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    IMG_4585.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4586.JPG
    IMG_4586.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4589.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 44
I like that.[cl Mine is similar, but I didn’t make the center removable, mine the whole thing bolts in. Yours is much better if you need to pull the pan with it still in the car. I figured if anything needed to come apart I might as well pull it all out anyway.[;)

Your welding is better looking than mine too ZZ! [;):D I used the magic grinder :Dand flat black paint to make mine disappear in the shadows!:D:D

Looks great ZZ.... I've been thinking about connecting my engine mounts someway simlilar to what you have done. I have my spring cross member at the front end and then nothing until the trans cross member and it's bolted and not that heavy duty.

Whatda think?

Attachments

• DSCF5622.jpg
    DSCF5622.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF5548.jpg
    DSCF5548.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
I like that.[cl Mine is similar, but I didn’t make the center removable, mine the whole thing bolts in. Yours is much better if you need to pull the pan with it still in the car. I figured if anything needed to come apart I might as well pull it all out anyway.[;)

Your welding is better looking than mine too ZZ! [;):D I used the magic grinder :Dand flat black paint to make mine disappear in the shadows!:D:D

Ha,ha, my welding is probably no better than yours, I too have a magic grinder to eliminate the boogers and f-ups which I use before taking pics..:eek:

Looks great ZZ.... I've been thinking about connecting my engine mounts someway simlilar to what you have done. I have my spring cross member at the front end and then nothing until the trans cross member and it's bolted and not that heavy duty.

Whatda think?

Exactly what I was thinking about the twistyness of the front of the frame. The big block in mine is heavy and torquey (hopefully), so why wing it? I'll also be having tube connectors from the frame thru the firewall to a cage which should make it more rigid in case I get some air under the tires :cool:

Before going back to Arizona I felt the need to do another mock up of that 871 goodness to haunt my dreams 'till April :cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4591.JPG
    IMG_4591.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4594.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 56
Put on the front sheet metal for the first time to size it up. Fenders and grille shell are pretty beat up but it's just metal that can be fixed... I may mount the headlights about where they are sitting, the stock pedestals put them up about 4". Headers are a no go, made for 567 Chevy, I'll have to chop them up to get under the fenders.. apparently no one makes fenderwell headers for a BBC in a 37 Packard [S

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4606.JPG
    IMG_4606.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4597.JPG
    IMG_4597.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4603.JPG