Something Different Here

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

I am trying to continue building things with motors but not big. I have been thinking of doing a drift trike. I found an old bike and have begun to saw it up. I didn't that and pix before but will going forward. New to these things but they look like a blast. Jim

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 41
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 39
That's cool! Let me know and I'll shoot you some links to places for all kinds of ideas and parts. Not sure what you're gonna power it with but look into predator motors...lots of choices for upgrades and matching drive train components.

Thanks all. I am going to use a 6.5 Predator. Hoping to get it on sale for $119. I have everything I need right now except motor, wheels, tires, seat, and sleeves. I would appreciate links. There is so much out there. I have seen these both with the engine in front of or back of the wheels. Not sure which way to go. I have square tube for the frame but I am still in the planning. Jim

Thanks all. I am going to use a 6.5 Predator. Hoping to get it on sale for $119. I have everything I need right now except motor, wheels, tires, seat, and sleeves. I would appreciate links. There is so much out there. I have seen these both with the engine in front of or back of the wheels. Not sure which way to go. I have square tube for the frame but I am still in the planning. Jim

I think engine in front of the wheels will be more stable and give you more pressure on the front tire, which sounds to me to be positive in the application.

I've been working on this project and I am not a big picture taker unfortunately. I just move along. Here is where the trike is as of yesterday. Waiting on rear tires so I can start mounting the axle and motor. Better pix coming. Jim

Attachments

• 20220611_133900.jpg
    20220611_133900.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 33
Sorry I never saw your request for links! You probably have found some sources by now, but I'll post a few if I can find them.
https://www.bmikarts.com/Racing-Go-Kart-Parts

https://azusaparts.com/

http://www.gopowersports.com/go-kart-parts/

Thanks. The middle one is one I didn't have on my list. Most the parts I got were on ebay which I really haven't used much in years. They just had the better packages. Only problem was the chain and gears were some odd pitch that there was no clutch available for so I had to get a different set #35. Jim

Are you using a centrifugal clutch or a torque averter? I built a cycle kart and have reconstructed 2 now of the electric golf karts using the tav-2 torque averters. The torque averters are able to do the job well. I had my doubts using 212 predators on something that heavy but both have survived well over 2 years now. Funny story. I was fishing on our favorite bass lake one day after completing one of the golf karts. The guy I did it for called me on the cell when we were out in the forest on the lake where cell service is sketchy. I answered the call and he only got a few words out before being disconnected. I heard "37 miles per hour" and then nothing. Me and my buddy started laughing...I'm sure other people in ear shot thought we were crazy.
The golf kart I'm referring to is used daily as his get-around-vehicle when he's helping manage a trailer park in the forest. The other one was done last for my fishing buddy, Jr. His has been totally thrashed by all the grand kids, cousins and adults around out here where we live. There is no pavement so it's been off road most of it's life. If you decide to switch to a torque averter, take notice. There are deals available for multi packs for replacement belts for these. That's about the only thing that I've noticed that needs occasional replacement but those multi-unit deals are sometimes offered because of the error in manufacture. The belts are ok to use, just be aware that some of the belts are marked wrong. There is a notice printed on the belts "THIS SIDE TOWARDS MOTOR" I've found that to be an error on some. These belts work with a beveled side in conjunction with a moveable pulley interaction where one inside half of the pulley is beveled. Disregard the markings and be sure that the beveled side of the belt goes to the beveled side of the pulley.

Latest posts

Back