63 corvair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you are still making some good head way!!! I found a project Corvair a couple days ago, not sure if it's for sale but it looks in decent shape!! I think it would be neat to stuff a 32V Caddy motor in the back of one....... [ddd

During the early 70's a friend of mine dad built a front engine V-8 Corvair using a 1956 Chevrolet frame. Fast and scary, it would not stop without locking a wheel. He also had thrush side pipes and looked awesome. At some of the car shows in metro Atlanta we see a few mid engine V-8 Corvairs. I think they use Cadillac North star engines. Any way you build it you should have an awesome ride.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It helps to keep me motivated. The cold weather is coming and that sometimes demotivates me. I hope that I can have her driveable by spring. We'll see.:) I got particularly excited when we pushed her outside the other day to look at her. Have to say I have only seen a few mid engine corvairs around. The others that I saw where completely stock. I am hoping to be the first around my area with a front engine one.

A couple years ago me and a buddy drove from FL to almost the far said of TX to watch the Big Bend Open Road Race.

It was and will be the coolest thing I have ever done For a long time. :D

One car I remember was a guy named Charlie in a heavily modified corvair with a 400 big block mid mounted. He ran in the unlimited class and posted the fastest speed at 207MPH.

I was a volunteer at a gate along the course and when he went by OMG:eek: I will never forget that!:D

I was trying to find some info and I found a guy on another forum talking about the experience with pictures.

Here's the link http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48069

hahaha awesome build thread... My uncle back in the 60's drove his boss's corvair through the front of A n W resturuant where he worked when he was 15

I have heard a few people tell me that they went off roading in those cars, and not on purpose either. Needless to say I am glad I am not using the old suspension. I cant Imagine going 200 mph in this thing! Thats crazy! I will be happy with her as long as she can lay some rubber and sounds good.

I love this build - I have a soft spot in my heart for this body style corvair (don't like the other styles). My hubby restored a '64 Corvair Spyder when we were a young couple - he sold it to buy his first snowmobile. I sure miss that car!
8225083442_1cce093efc_z.jpg

A bit more....

Finally through the holidays. I can finally get some work done.
Installed 4 inch lowering blocks to get the rearend at the right height.

100_0094.jpg

100_0095.jpg

100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

My buddy's Randy and Doug giving me a hand.

100_0099.jpg

First 4x8 sheet....
100_0100.jpg

Installed the driveshaft to start fab on the new floor.
100_0101.jpg

New tunnel..
100_0102.jpg

Picked up the new wheels. I think I am gonna paint them sliver.
100_0147.jpg

Seeing how they look...
100_0148.jpg

Latest posts

Back