Steering Column problems!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford49Rat

I am making great progress on my rat rod, but have come to a problem that I can't seem to resolve! I know it has been an issue before for many, but what are the best possible solutions for what I'm about to explain...

My cab is channeled, which of course makes less room for the steering wheel since the floor is now raised because of the channel. I have the steering column mounted where I need it, but there is a pretty good angle that causes me to have a knuckle or two to be added to make it go to the gear box. It seems everything I've tried causes it to bind some way...Anything creative I can do to make it work better/safer?

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• SteeringColumn1.jpg
    SteeringColumn1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 100
  • SteeringColumn2.jpg
    SteeringColumn2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 105
  • RatRodTruck2.jpg
    RatRodTruck2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 91
i would put an aftermarket universal in the steering box, run DD shaft under the headers, with a rod end support, then another universal up to your column

or just raise the end of your column that comes through the fire wall to make a straighter run

i would put an aftermarket universal in the steering box, run DD shaft under the headers, with a rod end support, then another universal up to your column

or just raise the end of your column that comes through the fire wall to make a straighter run

Could you explain to me what you mean by an aftermarket universal? And a rod end support like an eye bolt? Any links out there that has a good example of this?

The 2 "u-joints" in my picture in the middle of the shaft are socket joints that I welded together...then there is the one u-joint at the end of the steering column. Does anyone see anything wrong with the setup I have? I tried turning the steering wheel to see if it binds anywhere, and it's hard to tell because it is pretty hard to turn. Is this simply because I don't have the power steering hooked up yet or because it's hard to turn the tires while they are on the ground? I'm stumped...and I definitely want it to be safe for the most part.

Yes, get rid of the socket u-joints and get real automotive one. Your life and everyone else on the road depends on it.

That's what I thought I would hear. I'll take the sockets out and find another way to connect the column. Would it work to get a u-joint just like the larger one that is at the end of the column and put it at the other end where the shaft meets the steering box? And simply just have one solid shaft between the 2 u-joints?

If you get by with the factory joint and one at the steering box, you won't need a heim as a carrier but, if you need three joints to make the connection you will need a carrier.
Folks if I messed something up here please correct me :cool:

Latest posts

Back