Honest Charlie????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddRodsGarage

I know that a company has the right to charge whatever they want for their products... that is a given . But I needed a set of exhaust gaskets for a flathead V8 and they were priced at $8.95 + shipping .

When I did the shipping "quote" it came back as $18.85 [ FedEx ] this was for the shipping only. These thing are the equivalent of 8 motorcycle exhaust gaskets and will fit in a first class envelope .......

I did not buy them but would like to hear your thoughts , am I wrong for feeling a little hosed here ?

Oldog

They are here

http://www.honestcharley.com/hot-ro...rformance/gasket-exhaust-manifold-header.html

You have to really watch, there is a lot of that just literally rape you on shipping charges.

That is a bit much. Some companies see shipping as a profit item and put flat rates on shipping, even though they pay less for it. A company that size gets a pretty good rate, so they shouldn't be hosing their customers by tagging that much on a simple item like you ordered.

I would call them and complain.

Don

As a side note, I am not that impressed with the current Honest Charlie organization. I bought from the old HC for years and he had good prices and good products. Even when I go to Turkey Run I breeze through their booth because the stuff is overpriced IMO. They are not the same people that companies like Speedway or Summit are, when it comes to doing right by the customer.

I know Coker owns them, and I like Coker, but HC just has a different feel to it.

Don

I have called companies before and asked about different shipping options. Most will work to get your business.

I have called companies before and asked about different shipping options. Most will work to get your business.

I did call them and left a message about why I was not going to buy this item from them in a polite way . I left my contact info and will post their reply .... IF I get one .....

After thinking about it I believe they are charging shipping and handling , thus in essence charging the customer for their employees wages ... times how many time an hour [S ?
Oldog

I got hosed on shipping on a water pump for an old power wagon ... they said not sure on how much it will cost to ship it ????? welll I wanted the pump so I told them to ship it C.O.D. :eek: OMG was that a screw up !!!!!!!!!! when they came to the house they wanted $82 bucks for a $52 water pump and it come from Iowa If I remember correctly ..... I felt like Jerry Reed ,,, I didnt mind giving UPS there part (but I didnt know it was going to be that much ) It was my fault ... I didnt have a clue it was going to cost that much to ship a 8 pound water pump .. $30 to ship

Capturev8.PNG

these are $22.00 a set why are they so high ? looks like a ford 8-N or 9-N tractor gasket

You got to be careful with Rockauto, too. They had a plastic fender, maybe five pounds, counting the box. The fender was 60 bucks but they wanted $160 to ship it. I call and asked and they said because of the size. But, when you go to Fedex, all they want is the weight. And ground ship is like 20 bucks. Somebody is ripping people off.

You got to be careful with Rockauto, too. They had a plastic fender, maybe five pounds, counting the box. The fender was 60 bucks but they wanted $160 to ship it. I call and asked and they said because of the size. But, when you go to Fedex, all they want is the weight. And ground ship is like 20 bucks. Somebody is ripping people off.

I've seen that too. If you place an order and it has to come from multiple locations, you get hit for multiple shipping costs. What I do when I need parts from them is I go on their site, get their prices and part numbers, then call a local parts store and compare prices. If there is a dramatic difference (sometimes it is half as much from RA) then I place the order with RA. But if it is not a tremendous savings, I buy locally. That way, if the part is wrong I can go right here and return it, rather than going through the RA return hassle.

Don

Anything bought online most of the time I find shipping to be a scam! I get so angry when I want something and on eBay it is $15 with $18 to ship.

It was sellers doing that on ebay that brought on ebay charging final value fees on the shipping. Before when ebay didn't charge fees on the shipping, slimeball sellers would have the item dirt cheap and the shipping many times what it actually cost.

i run the parts department where i work, and shipping is unreal both coming and going. we use ups most of the time but fedex is just as bad. i had a 3"x4"x5" bow that was half a pound come in the other day, maybe 50 mile and it was right at $12.00, but i don't think we could have drove over and got it for less either.

SHIPPING & HANDLING

It's become an acceptable "Bait & Switch" profit generator in both small & large business. It is on us as the buyer to check this expense and see if other rates are available. On the seller's side if every thing gores out Fed Ex or UPS, it is more time consuming to send something out 1st class USPS.

I've found the best answer for both me (buyer) & seller is for me to do combo orders for as few projects to consolidate shipping costs.

Latest posts

Back