Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote is the same as E-mans. Don't stop posting pictures, OK.
There's not very many people out there that can engineer and build a cool truck like yours, out of almost nothing. Congratulations!

Hate to see this thread end, it's a RRR classic! Do we have hope for another one? :D

Thanks Eman! Don't know that I'll be doing anything this involved again but I have all kinds of projects to do around here. It's been 2 1/2 years on this one and because I didn't build it to sell but to enjoy, I'll be doing just that for a while. I enjoy the ride, love this old truck, and it really does gets some looks and those approving thumbs ups keep coming from everywhere I go. One of the coolest things on the first "road" ride was that deputy that I passed that had a car pulled over and I went by with this thing still untuned, not running like it is now and still in testing mode and the guy was cool enough to shoot me a thumbs up as I went by...hey!!! Alright!

My vote is the same as E-mans. Don't stop posting pictures, OK.
There's not very many people out there that can engineer and build a cool truck like yours, out of almost nothing. Congratulations!

Thanks MM! OK! From nothing to the "Nuttin Special"

Last edited:
Hey Pops! Thanks for hanging in there...old farts gotta hang together...:D

Got my last step done on the finish Sunday. It's been raining here so I haven't shot more pix. I've learned a few things coming along on my trail. I've worked on knives full time since, well, since I retired from my full time job. Lots of builds, lots of repairs, and lots of restores. Some guys wanted them all shiny and some wanted it to look like nobody ever touched it but it worked well and looked period correct. Lots of experimenting went into making that happen and I did lots of it. I got a few methods to color various different metals by the trial and error way. The last step on this was a take off on a finish I use on knives. The knife mixture is mineral oil/beeswax in 50/50. I differed on this only in my choice of oil. My 500 mile break-in oil was mixed with the beeswax for this. Pix to come later. I might have to split shortly to pick up my driveshaft. It being in Orlando, it'll be a half day detour in any plans when it happens. Stay tuned...

Thanks Forbigpicture! I'd bow if it didn't hurt so much...:rolleyes:

Didn't hear from the guys about the shaft today....hope they weren't blowing smoke...

A really great looking rod but I have a couple of critiscms

the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car:D:D:D

and the grille would look better if it was about 3" lower (but that is my taste)

That's one heck of a truck you have there smallfoot. Torchie is right it just keeps getting better.

Thanks man! I'm liking it more every time I see it too!

A really great looking rod but I have a couple of critiscms

the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car:D:D:D

and the grille would look better if it was about 3" lower (but that is my taste)

I'm ok with criticism too! Actually this thing started out with right hand drive. I just couldn't make the adjustment in my mind...:D Me and that grille have done all the dancing we're gonna do I think. That's a Jeep radiator inside that grille and while it sits in there pretty good on the fit, it didn't leave much room for repositioning. I've got it as low as I can without rethinking the mounting of the radiator and the grille and I would have had to cut notches in the grille sides or move it out beyond the cross member to get it any lower. The upper corners of the radiator bracket were trimmed and they still bump the inside corners of the grille and there is little room to acces the filler cap. Playing with those issues was kinda left for opinions as I was doing it and when it came down below the level of the cowl, I was happy enough with it to leave it be.
I've got some of my own criticisms too! While I like the "tipped hat" look I put on the top, I sure could have left the front up an inch for a little extra viewing space out the windshield. Traffic lights are a pain in the neck...:rolleyes:
Another issue is my shifter. I need to redesign the shape of the lever so I can access 1st gear for manual shifting. It bumps the seat. That won't be much of a deal and I'm ok with it now but would like to have it a little better. The only time I may need to really have that option is when I may bog down in the sugar we call sand here. Those big wides on the back make it float in sand and I haven't had any trouble like that yet. Both of those issues will probably be corrected when I deal the the seat again. Changing the shifter and moves on seat mounting will cure both of those...

Yeah....sorry bout that...

Lord I wish things would settle down a bit....it's been crazy lately around the old Sarge's place...into each life, a little rain must fall...but seriously, that is sweet with a capital SWEET....

Latest posts

Back