Why Did You Choose To Run/Drive/Build A Ford/Chevy/Dodge Etc...........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
my choice of power's easy for me, it was price, avaliablty, interchange of parts and that l had tons of chevy parts left over from our racing days for motor & transmission choice.

for the bodies, free on the 4dr dodge we made into a sedan, traded a $200
1966 dodge truck for the 1950 dodge truck cause my son liked it and we wanted to be diffirent from all the "normal" hot/rat rods, like ford,chevy, studie or IH's all over the car/truck show scene.

the 1960 cushman with the 750 V45 honda motor because l think that will be a fun ride and all the parts were free, the cushman body was going to the scrapyard and the honda had been abanded at a friends shop so he called me and said come get it or it's going to scrapper.

AND the fact l'm a pack rat and am using parts "stored" for the last 20 or so years.[dr

AND friends are invaluable to the projects l do:D cannot thank them enough[cl

free and low cost also influence most of my builds[ddev

Later:cool:

Attachments

• 1a 001.jpg
    1a 001.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 44
  • coushman 6.JPG
    coushman 6.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 42
  • dodge truck in yard mocked up 007.jpg
    dodge truck in yard mocked up 007.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 35
Always been a GM guy.....

I ate, slept and drove and raced GM's.... Pontiac my favorite....(couldn't guess) but turned wrenchs and or doing the service director thing until I went full time in law enforcement.... although I've worked on nearly anything they have build up to hauling my tools home to the barn.....and Skull is right, the availabilty and cost of parts for Chevy's is hard to ignore...

always GM here too..my dad was a Ford guy, I think it was a teenage rebellion thing for me..For my current project,I had engine parts left from various other Chevy projects, and it's what I know and like.. to me the body doesn't matter, I'm getting a 48 F1 cab, but the brand wouldn't really matter to me, it's just what i found..

Always felt chevy to be the easiest engine to build and of course the price and avaulabilityof parts makes if a hard combo to beat! I know everyone is tired of seeing the 350/350 combo in rods, but the above reasons are the lure to most people.....cr

Always felt chevy to be the easiest engine to build and of course the price and availabilityof parts makes it a hard combo to beat! I know everyone is tired of seeing the 350/350 combo in rods, but the above reasons are the lure to most people.....cr

My dad used to be a mechanic for what seems like forever, and all he ever drove was Chevys. Over the years I've had a few Fords and Mopars, but I like my GM products...Oh yeah...and Studebakers!

my dad drove subarus and restored MG's! I always knew I wanted more power and just always liked GM's[S

Partial to fords because that is what my much admired b-inlaw always had when i was a kid. But I use anything on hand or that is cheap or free. Building the worlds only Volvo powered speedster thing.:rolleyes:

Oh yea, cheap is good and free is better. I got my truck for free,my mustang body for free and the caprice I had for free.I also plan to do something with an old toyota van that I have.[cl[ddev[ddd[P

Blue Oval

I grew up in a Ford family & have always been a Mustang nut way before I could drive legally.LOL

Our 39' Ford truck just kinda' happened along. We are actually starting the build tomorrow. Wanting to build something out of the ordinary with our first Rat decided to keep it all Ford & run a Boss 429 under the hood. I hope it turns out.

My first build has been a 1953 Dodge truck and I cant see me ever changing. Super cool looking trucks and very scarce around my parts. Mopars for life!

I've owned 3 GM (Generally Mediocre) vehicles and while I owned them I got tired of being towed home by Fords, so I started buying Fords and now I tow the GM's. When people see what I can do mechanically they ask me where I went to school, I just smile and say "Nowhere... I used to own a chevy once."

But my current DD truck is a 2001 Cummins Dodge and i've got to say that after 4yrs with it and 6yrs of my wife's Chrysler products, despite numerous minor design flaws, i'm impressed, they're not Fords mind you but they're a real vehicle that holds up and performs well.

My project is a '51 Ford F1 and i've been looking for one for years and stumbled across this one on Craigslist. But to answer the OP's question I was looking for it in the first place because it was a Ford.

I'm not stuck on any brand other than Ford trucks - they seem to outlast anything else - you can argue with me, but my proof is the junk guys around here have the oldest beat up trucks and they are Ford.

Otherwise if it's cheap, easy, and available... ;)

I think of myself as a Chevy guy. However, I really am a small block Chevy engine person.:confused: Daily is a 2001 S-10 I bought new. Only my 2nd new vehicle ever. Toys are '48 Crosley, 'glass '27 T roadster, '31 Model A 2 door, '27 Chrysler Tub, '48 Ford Anglia, 'glass '38 Fiat & a '40 Plymouth Pickup...All small block Chevy powered. Boring, I know. My "rail job" dragster has a slant 6 in it.[S

In the last couple years I sold a '35 International & '38 Dodge. Both Bobber trucks. And an unfinished '50 Chevy pickup.

As you can see, as far as brands for hot rod bodies, I ain't too fussy.

When the S-10 dies the '40 Plymmie truck will be the hauler. Then I'll get a worn out piece of econo-garbage for a beater.

Ive always been a chevy2 car guy. [14 in all] as for trucks? FORD no other imitations will do. oh wait a minute, the last build {Mr. Wrinkles} he did have a 400 sbc. however that was my cross dresser. oops I mean crossover hehe

I guess I fall in line with the "money talks and BS walks" camp. I was looking for a Buick Nailhead and found a 1979 Buick 350 crate engine that lived on a dolley in a high school auto shop class for 30 years. For $450 how could I refuse? A 4 hr roadtrip with my son and 2 dogs landed me a never-been-started 350 that I plan to install into my 1951 Willys Jeep panel truck. Click on these to enlarge.

I hope I get it done before I die. Think about me when you hoist your next beverage. I need the help!

Latest posts

Back