Frame Table

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couper

RRR Supportor
Bought 7 of these screw jack stands today for 25 bucks each and put this table together. Its only 10' long but it'll have to do. If I need to I can add to it.

Attachments

• DSCF5168.jpg
    DSCF5168.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF5166.jpg
    DSCF5166.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 38
I did a front end mock up today and could use some input. My Speedway catalog came today and I talked with Clarke. Nice guy. Patient....have to be with me.

I had a choice of a 4" drop beam or a 6" drop beam....wasn't sure so I did a mock up. Looks like the 4" will work but like I said I can use some input from those smarter than I.

I used pvc to make a 4" drop mock beam. Then mocked a cross member & some hangers. The 2x4 represent 28" tires.....spindle at 14"

What I don't know but will once the goods come (hope to place order tomorrow after I hear back from couple of you guys) is 1) the height of the spring and 2 how much it will settle withe the 700# motor on it.

So the cross member is 4" above the frame rail in the first picture....this gives me about 6.5" between the axle and the mocked spring hangers. Don't think that's enough.

I can move that cross member up 4" and cut back as much as 2" on the perches or hangers and get another 6" for a total of 12" (picture)

So I can go anywhere between 6.5 and 12" but of course make the cross member higher I suppose. Don't know how high is too high. Is there a rule of thumb on this? I suspect no rules or like my dad used to say "rules are made to be broken" lol

What do you guys think of all this?

Thanks again

Attachments

• DSCF5192.jpg
    DSCF5192.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF5195.jpg
    DSCF5195.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF5196.jpg
    DSCF5196.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 25
Spring height should be in the Speedway catalog.

I believe the spring rate (how much weight it is designed to handle) should also be in the catalog. It is one of the parameters you should consider when ordering. Travel will be only a couple inches with the right spring.

To the pros out there: If I got this wrong, someone please speak up, before I make a mess of my front suspension.

Unless you're gonna have the same size tires all the way around, 28" is really tall for the front. More like 26".
As soon as it gets daylight outside, I'll get you some measurements on m front end and some Hemi dimensions too.

Unless you're gonna have the same size tires all the way around, 28" is really tall for the front. More like 26".
As soon as it gets daylight outside, I'll get you some measurements on m front end and some Hemi dimensions too.

Hey Old Iron....Appreciate that. 26" tires will give me another inch so that would be good. Thanks for getting me those dims.....appreciate it!

I believe the spring rate (how much weight it is designed to handle) should also be in the catalog. It is one of the parameters you should consider when ordering. Travel will be only a couple inches with the right spring.

To the pros out there: If I got this wrong, someone please speak up, before I make a mess of my front suspension.

I couldn't find it....and the sales tech couldn't provide it. I may have to experment with springs....

392 Hemi, on the firewall to radiator is 33" that gives you plenty of room to run a mechanical fan if you want like mine and still have 2 1/2" from firewall to the passenger side head, which is the closest head to the firewall.
My spring perch is 12" off the ground with 24 inch tall tires.
My frame 2x3 3/16 wall and the front frame Z is stacked directly on top of itself. The bottom of frame under the cab to the road is 5 1/2".
Your front cross bar looks to be way too high, mine goes straight across from one frame rail to the other and the spring perch is sitting on the top of that cross bar.
For references, look at the 37 GMC link on my post.

I've never seen spring rates listed for a buggy spring. Is this in the Speedway catalog for sure?

I'm with snopro
Usually they are listed as small block or big block. The only difference is one or two more spring in the stack.
I'm using a small block with this 1,000 pound Hemi and it's fine. The engines set back further than traditional hot rods which transfers the weight towards the rear of the vehicle.

I'm with snopro
Usually they are listed as small block or big block. The only difference is one or two more spring in the stack.
I'm using a small block with this 1,000 pound Hemi and it's fine. The engines set back further than traditional hot rods which transfers the weight towards the rear of the vehicle.
I stand corrected. And thank you for it. [cl I should have verified my assumption. I learned something today, also.

392 Hemi, on the firewall to radiator is 33" that gives you plenty of room to run a mechanical fan if you want like mine and still have 2 1/2" from firewall to the passenger side head, which is the closest head to the firewall.
My frame 2x3 3/16 wall and the front frame Z is stacked directly on top of itself. The bottom of frame under the cab to the road is 5 1/2".
Your front cross bar looks to be way too high, mine goes straight across from one frame rail to the other and the spring perch is sitting on the top of that cross bar.

Thank you for the dims my friend! I am fried from work right now and the brain ram is at an all time low. I will decipher this tonight and be back at you.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Couper

Hey Old Iron...

I just looked thru all of your build pics....nice work! Seeing the pics and the dimensions you gave me helped me to understand it all. See if I'm on the right track.

I just typed a long reply to all of this and some how it didn't post so here we go again....arrrggg

Ok I believe the difference and reason why my front end cross member is so high versus yours is this:

Your bottom rail is 5 1/2" from the ground and you have 3" tall tubing stacked = 5.5+3+3=11.5 to top of engine rail

My bottom rail is 8" from the ground and I have 4" tall tubing stacked = 8+4+4= 16" to top of engine rail

Difference is 4.5" thus my cross member aprox 4" above yours.

I was going to place my cab rails are at the same plane that the stocks were at which I think were aprox 1" below the door sills. My ride height measured from the bottom of the rocker is 6". I wonder if I should drop the cab rail down to the edge of the rocker? That would give me 2 more inches of drop to the motor and a 2 or 3" deeper foot well / floor. One of my concerns is where the drive shaft will come thru the cab and how high the tunnel will have to be.

Would you be able to tell me where the centerline / center of the flywheel is at, and if the trans output shaft is a straight line from the center of the flywheel to the trans output shaft? I'm trying to understand where that drive shaft is going to come thru.

I really need to get my hands on the motor and trans.....too much guessing.

I did order my front end stuff from speedway....should be here in a few days. Then I'll be able to see that in front of me.

Also I think your axle has a bigger drop than mine.....mines 4". Unless it's just the pictures your looks at least 6" or more???

Thanks for putting up with me and thanks for the dimensions and help.

Couper

Latest posts

Back