I need some advice about tiny brass rivets

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I'm in the middle of installing new window tracks, etc. in my '56 Ford. I am going to replace the run channel in the front, butted against the back side of the vent windows. I got the channel and seals from Dennis Carpenter and they come with these itty-bitty brass rivets to install them. Does anyone have any experience with this type of rivet? They're hollow, so my first thought was to back up the head of the rivet with something solid, then use a center punch to spread the other, hollow, end. That is probably a bad idea, but I have never had any experience with anything like these rivets. I imagine other make cars used the same type of fastener, so I'm hoping one of you has some guidance you'll share.

You can probably make the simple tools. Here are a couple of rivet setters:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rivetsetter.jpg
    rivetsetter.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 64
  • rivetsetter2.jpg
    rivetsetter2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 61
If you get specific rivets for that job, they are probably correct length for the application. If they are long, proper trimming of the length will insure a better looking job. When you insert the rivet thru all the material you are trying to put together you should only have about 1/16" left to peen over. A small domed rod will do to start the roll on the end. A small metal block will work for an anvil. You can see the ends on the tools in the pix to finish the setting.

Latest posts

Back