Overhaul advice?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New question but I thought I would keep it in the same post.

Can I use the .030 pistons from the 305 with the rods from the 350? I'm getting the 350 back from the machine shop this week. It was bored .030. I still have the pistons and rods from the 305, but isn't the stroke (rod length) different from the 305?

On the other hand a guy down the road has 3 new sets of .030 pistons (flat top and dome) for $100 a set. Should I just go with new flat top pistons?

You have it backwards. The 305 and 350 have the same stroke and rod length, different bore size.

If the guy down the road has flat top +.030 350 pistons, they're what you need.

You really should have the pistons you are goin to use and give them to the machine shop as the blocks cylinders need to be honed to fit them.
Every set of pistons have a piston to cylinder wall clearance tolerance that needs to be followed.

Jim

I found out the $100 pistons he has are Keith Black forged pistons... possibly with new rings. He has 4 or 5 sets so I need to go out and see what sets have rings. He does have a few sets of cast pistons for $75 each.

What should I do? Are there piston and ring kits (brand new) for a little more or is this the better deal?... the forged pistons are new, but I'm not sure the cast ones are new... or if the rings are new.

Let's see KB forged or cast....KB forged or Cast.....

I found out the $100 pistons he has are Keith Black forged pistons... possibly with new rings. He has 4 or 5 sets so I need to go out and see what sets have rings. He does have a few sets of cast pistons for $75 each.

What should I do? Are there piston and ring kits (brand new) for a little more or is this the better deal?... the forged pistons are new, but I'm not sure the cast ones are new... or if the rings are new.

Ahhhhhhh.....KB forged for 100 Alex......take the KB forged.....[cl

Latest posts

Back