Mixed signals on this 9"/8" rear... Help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I found this 1970 F100 at the scrap yard. Everyone says the sure fire way to see if its a ford 9" to try to fit a socket on the bottom 2 carries nuts and if you can't it's a 9"... But this one has the tag and the numbers on te tag are saying its an 8 or 8.7 with 3.50 gears but the part code (WOM-T) is no where to be found??? What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 40
Maybe it says WDM-T not WOM-T. That would make more sense. That code give me a 63-78 ford F100 with 3.5 gears NL with 28 spline.... Yeah, that definitely makes more sense. It threw me off because I saw a 70's Galaxie that looked almost identical to the 9" but was a 8 3/4".

From appearances only it looks like the 9" carrier. I have an 8" in my son's truck and the pinion carrier does not extend down that low obstructing the two nuts underneath it. The 9" takes a wrench to get to those nuts.

I believe the 8" tapers down toward the drum(about where the leaf spring perches are), and the 9" has the same diameter tube from the center to the drum.

If this pic will load you can see what threw me off, see where there is an 8 at the bottom? On my other 9" it has a 9 in this exact spot. Well, guess its not going to upload for me. Anyway, on the bottom line of numbers it says 3.50 and then there is an 8 and I thought this was supposed to be the size o the ring gear. Ill stick with the first code and hope the chart I was looking at is correct.

I am sure your 1970 has a 9 inch

Just to add some more info.
1980-82 F100 pickups have the 9 inch and has car bolt pattern on wheels.
We have 2 of them here.
Why ford did that is beyond me but they did.[S

It's a nine inch
I never new them to put a 28 spline axles in pre 80's pickups, just 31"s [S
If the wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 5.5 I bet they are 31 spline axles.
What rex said about the 80-82 being a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern may indicate they are 28 spline axles.

Latest posts

Back