Parts car prices

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I don't know how many of you have been looking for a parts car lately, but boy, was I surprised. Been looking on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a late 80's -early 90's Ford with the 302 and AOD. Found several already pulled engines, transmissions, and combinations, but few complete drivable cars, and they wanted as much as a good car would cost! I was thinking find something ragged out or a light wreck but still driveable so I check it out before I bought it, but I'm beginning to think I'd be better off to just build what I got and it would be like new. Last parts car I bought was probably 15 years ago, I gave $500 for a 77 Ford Granada that had been rolled, drove it on the trailer, off the trailer and around the yard to pull guts and feathers out of it. Lots of difference now! Folks want that much for a gutted hull!

The older pushrod motors and non electronic transmission cars are about gone around here. I found plenty of 4.6 E4OD powered stuff, but I ain't going that route, all that electronic stuff is over my head. I did run across a Explorer 5.0 V8, but it was AWD so the trans wouldn't work for me. And no yards around here anymore, closest Pick and Pull is 80 miles one way, and they mostly have FWD junk. This hobby is getting out of reach for us poor folks!

I got lucky the other day. I picked up a running and driving 2000 Explorer for $650, I wanted the motor and possibly the rear end. It needs ball joints, has one door that won't open, the drivers door won't close and latch with the window down[S and the drivers seat is shot. other than that it's not bad.I was hoping for an AOD tranny but I haven't been able to find one. I did pick up a T-5 that is going to need a rebuild for $50. I don't know if that is going to work out so well. Good luck with your search. I have been using Searchtempest, Facebook market place and Gas of R.I. which is a Facebook group for selling automotive stuff up here in Rhode Island.

80's and 90's are seldom seen on the roads here, but we have snow and salt to help them disappear.

A friend and I used to flip a few cars... back then, we'd buy "easy" fixers with mechanical or body issues, then hit the local pick-a-part or gov't insurance/salvage yard. We'd buy whole (salvage) cars for $200 ,$300, $400 and fix the fixer... anyhow, those days are long gone!

More recently, I found an "old school" wrecking yard, about 70 miles away. He has common late model crap, but prides himself in the older 70's, 80's, 90's stuff everybody else crushes. He sold me a low mileage C4 with converter, delivered to my door, $150.

Last year, my daughter's car was stolen and damaged. We bought it from the proverbial little old lady... '93 Pontiac Sunbird, 40K miles, garage kept, virtually new 25 year old car. Beautiful condition and the perfect first car for my daughter, in my opinion...

So, I needed some parts and was having trouble find them. Mr. Old School to the rescue. He had everything I needed and again, delivered to my door. (His wife works here and commutes, so no shipping charge either!)

Sorry for the long post, but I sure appreciate the old school wrecker. Honest, thorough and cheap, like used car parts should be...

There are a lot of 80's and 90's stuff being driven here. Work cars, folks that can't afford anything newer, kids first cars, etc. Just not a lot of them sitting in yards like there were a few years ago. Friend of my wife has a 79 or 80 model Crown Vic that would be a perfect donor, she inherited it from her sister so I doubt she'll get rid of it until it quits, by then it will be worn out.

All the good yards here closed up 10-15 years ago. I used to be able to find stuff back to the 50's, but they crushed everything and closed up shop. The old guys died or retired, family didn't want to run a yard.

Being in a truck most of the week, I've not really noticed how things changed like I should have. Funny how your job can take up all your time and concentration, and you don't notice things in your own neighborhood. I used to flip a few cars myself, mostly small econo cars and pickups, but you can't find them anymore at a decent price, and if they're broke, you can't afford to fix them, that's why they got parked.:rolleyes:

I can't do much until after the first of the year anyway. We're heading into slow freight season, flatbed stuff always falls off in winter, and this year it's starting to fall off early.

I think it's about the same most everywhere, Bama.
Look how long it took me to find that Ratty G platform donor for my Dodge project.
Stuff from the 80's and 90's if still around is now considered"collector cars"by some.:eek: Like that Olds. They were POS when new.[ddd.
Times change.
Keep looking. you never know what will pop up.
Torchie

i hear you on nothing being around here anymore. been looking for a pontiac junker really wanting at least a 400 cid motor but can't seem to find anything at all.

Latest posts

Back