Overhaul advice?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I've decided to quit fighting the inevitable and I'm going to tear the motor down for an overhaul. I've got an '82 sbc 305. Now I'm going to sell the truck around next Feb or March, but I don't want to sell it the way it's running now… and I want to do a road trip in it before I sell it.

It's been running and sounds great until it warms up and get low oil pressure. I'm certain there are some clearance issues. The plan is to swap out all bearings, rings (hoping the pistons are good). I was thinking of getting the crank mic'd & polished but I can get a new crank for about the same price??? I'll probably just get a new crank. It's got a new Melling Cam but I'm going to get a brand new Comp cam w/ lifters for $100 so I might use that one. It's got a new standard oil pump but I have a new Melling HV pump I can use if need be. Getting new push rods ( got a good deal in case I need them).

I found a place by my shop that will inspect/ repair, dip/clean, and magnaflux for $125 and they'll install the cam bearings fitted with the cam included in that price.

Is there anything else you guys recommend I look at while I'm in there?… and what do you think of the above?

Here is some more stuff this guy has for sale:

Sbc block two piece rear main, bored .030, Casting# 3970010, Crankshaft is 10/10. $300
202 Heads Casting# 3973487 Double valve springs with damper, screw in rockerarm studs with push rod guides (around 12 to 15k on heads) $250
SpeedPro Cam (CS-1095R)w/Clevite lifters(H817), Dur 224 Intake .450 lift Exhust .460 lift $100
CompCams Cam/Lifter (CL12-210-2) Dur 218 Intake and Exhaust Lift .460 $100
TRW forged pistions:
L2304 .030 .100 Domes $100
L2252A .030 .200 Domes $100
L2256 .030 Flattops $100
Silverlites
1436 .030 Cast Flattops $75
and a set of KB .030 Cast Flattops $75
Ofenhauser dual 4 intake $150
Crome valve covers $10
Specialty 4 bolt main stud kit $40
Specialty rod bolts $20
SpeedPro Push Rods $15
Moroso Cranckshaft wiper $15
Moroso Oil Gallery screen kit $15

Let me add that this has me at around $300-$350. I would like to keep it under $400-$500 at max. AND before ya'll ask I don't want to spend enough to build a 350 cause I'm just going to sell it (and I'm hoping this one will get some decent gas mileage if there is such a thing).

JMHO>>>>>

unless you want to spend a lot.....and if you are going to sell it... you could go crazy or throw some valve guide seals at the heads, (should stop the smoke on start up)since you're primary concern is the low oil pressure..get a reground crank and bearings so that you're pretty sure that the clearances will be ok...., it isn't burning oil except on start up right? Put in a good oil pump and go....If you're up to it....you could pop the pistons out, clean up / hone the cylinders, slap a set a rings in it too if you wanted....sounded like the engine was stock as far as the bore? so it should be safe....Then stick with a mild cam and lifters...or just check and go with the one you have...but.
........just had a thought/ memory/epiphany....:[S
You mentioned it was running ok other than the oil pressure.... has the oil pressure been low since the start? Or did it drop when the cam was installed? I had a friend that bought a melling cam for his 350 and the cam bearing journals were ground undersized/too small....it had way too much bearing clearance....his oil pressure would nearly bottom out at 0 at idle but would get to 25 on the road....Just a thought.....he also had put in a melling HP oil pump.....

Have the machine shop hone the block and clean the pistons and install the rings. They will hone the block, then clean it again, and you won't have to worry about getting the bores clean. They can probably glass bead the pistons and get all the carbon out of the grooves, this can be a tough job.

Make sure you mark all the rod and main caps when you take this motor apart. They need to go back exactly as they came off. These parts do not interchange. You might have known that, I was not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to help.

No it's cool. I'm a new-b on motors. I have a buddy I do a lot of pinstriping for who has a nova running in the 6's. He is going to help me do everything. They will hone the cylinders for me too. No smoke or knock when driving. I think the new crank I'm going to get has matching rod and main bearings too. If need be I will do some work on the heads too, but we'll see once we get inside. I will probably do the guide seals too.

As far as the crank, What is the difference between a ground crank and a new crank?

No it's cool. I'm a new-b on motors. I have a buddy I do a lot of pinstriping for who has a nova running in the 6's. He is going to help me do everything. They will hone the cylinders for me too. No smoke or knock when driving. I think the new crank I'm going to get has matching rod and main bearings too. If need be I will do some work on the heads too, but we'll see once we get inside. I will probably do the guide seals too.

As far as the crank, What is the difference between a ground crank and a new crank?
Look into a crank kit if your going with a reground crank. . It come with matching rod and main bearings.

Reground kit will have all you need...

Mains, Rods.....I've gotten them from Napa, and even Autozone... have had zero problems with either.....sounds like you have an "in" at the engine builder so you should be good....best of luck with the rebuild or freshing up....should work out well....[P keep us advised....

I Honestly built engines like this... and they lived!

Rod and main bearings...wear was even. a little more on the rod side from combustion pressure but no evidence of bent rods or distorted rod ends...
paint the bearings with old leaded silver paint and re-use them..
no just kidding!!!

as long as the wear looks even and the crank is not too badly scored it is serviceable without grinding. It might be a loose fit but new bearings on an old crank will run at least as good as the old bearings.
if the crank isn't chewed up and is only lightly scored you can hand polish the journals smooth with strips of Emory cloth just make sure to do it evenly all the way around.
If the crank is smooth already dont mess with it.

I had a 77 camaro 350 that was over revved for an extended period. A friend of mine was being chased by other dudes shooting at him on a 3 hour chase speeds exceeding 130 mph. It had slightly oblonged rod ends but the bolts were still good. it would rattle when the oil got hot but it ran forever.
I just ran the engine slower than rattle speed and dropped in new bearings when they got a little too loose and rattled a little too low in the rpm's.

I put together prolly 4 or 5 junkyard re ringers polishing the crank by hand and getting years out of the engines with no problems.

The only problem I ever had was I had a rod bolt fail once. I think I over torqued them. Now every engine I assemble gets arp rod bolts for cheap bomb insurance

Heads...
Valve guides are cheap work. if the valves only wobble a little they aren't needed let the machinist decide. sometimes they only replace a few of the guides for me if the others are servicable.

Serviceable is usable spec not new spec. don't fall for someone trying to sell you work because your used part doesn't meet new reman specs.
new work should meet book specs. Knowing the serviceable specs comes from experience and a green book worm tech knows only the spec book without the experience.
perfect example... brake drum specs.. what's machinable and what's not. I'm sure you've seen perfectly serviceable drums and rotors turned away from the auto parts store because they barely didn't mic out.

A hood head man can go through your heads avoiding un necessary work.

According to Mike Daley of Daley's Machine Shop Omaha Ne...
valve seals... there is an improved design umbrella seal that doesn't get hard and fall apart. use those. the factory ones get hard and fall apart then you start smoking.
Positive retention valve stem seals are fine for racing engines, last a long time and they do prevent excessive oil from getting into the intake...
But the downside is the valves don't get as much oil.

the umbrella seals let the valves get more oil but not too much...just enough.

like leaks?
Me neither
I always have silicon form-a-gasket swell up and leak in the long run
so I stopped trying to make gaskets out of gasket sealer
professional mechanic told me the oem grey Lasts the longest

Permatex Aviation type gasket sealer (coal tar based)... stays tacky, impervious to oil, cleans up with paint thinner or alcohol. no leaks...none
similar to Indian Head
for parts that wont come apart until the next rebuild...paint both parts with it and both sides of the gasket.
let it tack up a little before assembly
I use it mostly on the intake gaskets, timing cover, water pump, and the oil pan... anywhere there will be direct exposure to gas and oil.
I only use silicon on the pan and intake in the corners where the gaskets meet.

I used it on the rear main and oil pan and valve covers in my old 292 ford v8 and it never leaked a drop after that.

Need to take the valve covers off?
Tar seal the gasket to the covers or oil pan but silicon the gasket to the block or heads. whenever you take them off the gaskets will remain intact stuck to the sheet metal and reusable just clean off and add a little fresh silicon.
why take them off? they ain't gonna leak

competition 242 cam or 268 is good in a 305
For better torque you want a little more lift and duration than stock but don't want more overlap. 114 or 112 degree lobe centers are better on a street daily driver motor than 107 or 102 degree lobe centers.

202 heads..not on a 305. good on a 327, 350, or 400 but on a narrow bore 305 the air will be running smack into the cylinder wall before it gets a good chance to make the turn towards the piston. They will not breath as well as 194 heads.
A little cam on stock 305 heads that have had the rough edges smoothed out will flow better under 3500 rpm than 194 heads on a stock cam.
I did a 305 with the cc 242 cam, small tube headers, edelbrock performer 600 carb and intake and replaced my rattling 350 that had the same cam, same compression, and ported 194 heads with a 750 holly and a Wieand 6000 intake. Mileage was the about the same. the truck drove about the same. only time i missed those 50 cubes was when I had a load of forewood or was towing a wreck to the junkyard.
It was in a 1975 full time 3/4 ton 4x4

so...
1) It's gotta run good and not drop a valve on ya = quality head rebuild with minimal new parts
2)hand polish the crank or just spend 150 bucks for a reman crank kit
3)clean and cleaner ez-off works wonders and doesn't give you cancer or light you on fire
4)take the pistons and rods in to the shop and have arp bolts installed and the big ends resized. Ya have to after changing the bolts. don't put in a new design of bolts and not rebuild the rods.
5)remove the ring ridge
6)hone the cylinder enough to remove the shiney but not so much you make the hole bigger. Any machine shop is going to tell you if the ridge needed cut off your cylinders need bored. sure they will have a little taper and wear the rings out a little faster who cares it's a 305 use thicker oil like rotellas 20w50 if there's a problem lol.
removing the shiney lets the cylinder and the ring cut each other to a perfect fit. don't do it and the rings will never seal.
7)put in a new oil pump and an aftermarket oil pump driveshaft
8)double roller timing chain installed straight up
9)set your valves on the engine stand. pre lube the engine. with oil in the lifters and the lifter fully off the lobe and turning the pushrod between your fingers tighten the rocker nut until you begin to feel tension rotating the pushrod (zero slack). Then further tighten the nut the recommended turns.
do this individually for each valve.
10)set your distributor timing on the engine stand. put the engine at the 8 degree btdc timing mark. put power to the distributor and turn it opposite the direction the rotor turns until it sparks. Lock it down there. when you start the engine the timing will be perfect. you wont need to adjust anything but maybe the carb.
11)button it all up and then paint it.
12) put it in and break it in

for a new flat tappet cam you must run it at 2,000 rpm for 20 minutes to properly break in the cam with non detergent non synthetic oil. Any idle time spent fooling around trying to get the engine running will remove significant life from your cam possibly wiping a lobe in the first few hundred miles

In case anyone is wondering why I replaced the rattly 350 that "ran forever" with the 305...
I got it hot and cracked the heads plowing snow. the bearings still looked ok when i tore it down
I also forgot this...
the bad attitude cam bearings...
I made my own cam bearing installer from 3/4" all thread and washers chucked up in the drill press and resized with a file to fit each cam bearing.
they got a little boogered up going in
what'd I do?
I got the BFH out :eek:
It fit a little tight but they must have reshaped themselves when it fired up because the cam didnt end up in the oilpan.
Kind of reminds me of the time we beat a damaged harmonic balancer back onto the 454 with a fence post after the retainer bolt fell out... Oh yeah... JB weld on the threads and back into the bad threads with the crank bolt lol

Were talking teen agers, burger king at $3 an hour and 50 dollar junkyard motors here and 100 buck rebuild kits.
we weren't Micky Thompson

Last edited:
My best advice is to hang around the best most knowledgeable guys. Pick their brains, learn the many right ways to do it right....

...Then beat the system cheap as you can "You did WHAT" [P

Well... Got word from the machine shop. I have one cracked head and deep grooves in one cylinder. They said it's already bored 30 over and they would have to go 60 over... not what I want to do.

I found a 1973 350 from one of my buddies. We started it up and it only cost me $250. It's been sitting for almost a decade though so I want to tear it down, clean the massive amount of gunk out and spruce it up with a new cam/lifters, water/oil pump, timing chain and 4 barrel intake/carb. It has a points dist. so I'll put an hei on there too. These are all parts I already have. I think this will keep me in budget.

Question is should I take it back to the machine shop for clean up or is this something some ez off oven cleaner/degreaser and some elbow grease will take care of?

Bummer....

If you're only thinking about getting it clean enough to tear down....do it there or truck it to the local power wash and go to town.... if you've had it running then even better..... expect to find a lot of dryed out seals and gaskets after 10 years unless they had it hermetically sealed...lol...
But if you are planning a new cam and lifters and such, you can pretty much take off what you want and reseal it top and bottom....intake off and pan off will pretty much tell you what shape it's in..good luck with the clean up.... [P

Thanks friend.

What about the heads? Can I clean those up myself too? I found a decent article saying there are some galleries that I need to make sure are clean???

Oh yeah, I just met a guy at a show today that maybe wants to trade some fresh powerpack heads for some pinstriping. Should I put those on the 350 or just use the factory heads?

If they are the old style camel hump heads

Thanks friend.

What about the heads? Can I clean those up myself too? I found a decent article saying there are some galleries that I need to make sure are clean???

Oh yeah, I just met a guy at a show today that maybe wants to trade some fresh powerpack heads for some pinstriping. Should I put those on the 350 or just use the factory heads?

I would make sure they have locations for mounting the alternator and such..whatever you are using.....newer style has the bolt hole locations in the normal locations..the camel humps mostly used water pump mounts for the accessories....Chevy heads have minimal passages that need cleaning other than push rod holes and oil return passages... just make sure they are clean...it's been proven that standard 305 vortec heads flow better numbers than the old camel humps... frankly, I use the ones on the motor that you know are good....since you ran the motor...just freshen up the seals and gaskets and Bob's your uncle...if you were going to keep it and drive the wheels off it....maybe bigger valves and such would be better...JMHO

I've done and understood the chassis part fairly well. I've been wanting to learn about motors now so this is all good info. I don't mind spending some extra bucks to do it right... especially if it educates me in the process. A good education can save you money down the road.

My buddy that sold me the motor pointed out the heads are the beefier ones. He said at the base of some of them they had a u-notch cut in them where these are straight across leaving more beef to them. I'll probably just use the stock heads. They seem to be in pretty good shape.

I still may get those powerpack heads just to have them for a later project... ooooooh or better yet, maybe I can use them on the 305 since one of the heads are cracked on that one. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help and useful info.

Why not freshen up that 350 with new rings, bearings and gaskets, cam change while it is out.

Just a note on the long water pump and no bolt holes in the head to mount the water pump. We have some brackets to make that work.

Why not freshen up that 350 with new rings, bearings and gaskets, cam change while it is out.

Just a note on the long water pump and no bolt holes in the head to mount the water pump. We have some brackets to make that work.

That's what I plan to do. Shouldn't have any probs with the water pump but if I do I let you know... You've made other custom parts for me and I am 100% satisfied and if I need anything more I'll let you know.

If anyone needs any parts like this RPM knows whats going on!

Latest posts

Back