Coating blocks???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

Fairly new to motors but I was wondering (if it's even possible) that a ceramic coated block would have any pro's con's to performance??? I don't even know if the coating would stick to the block much less if it would help the motor, but this idea just popped in my head and I don't think I've ever seen one coated (probably for a reason). I'm a creative person that likes to spitball ideas... sometimes the ideas are good... other times there just down right stupid.

This also goes for chrome, nickel or any other coating. Is anyone doing this... is it even possible???

I know it's good to control or insulate heat, but I didn't know if it would make the engine run hotter or give it a longer life span?????? How does this work?

I know back in the old days (like when I was young) they used to coat the lifter valley with Glyptal to smooth out the rough casting so the oil would flow better. Don't know if that really made any performance difference but they thought it improved something...[P

Well it would be good to insulate heat if it wasn't being insulated in the engine. The engine cools it self with water running through the block so I don't think it would actually make a difference but if it did I wouldn't be a good change. Now with exhaust you want to insulate heat because hot gasses move faster than cold gasses. So the hotter you exhaust is the faster it moves the quicker it gets away from the engine and the better it scavenges the other cylinders.

I have had customers Powder Coat the external area of the block/heads
With no effect on cooling or power.
As far as internal coating there are some oil-shedding products that help the oil flow off the internal parts faster which in turn helps cool the engine also. The oil also keeps parts cool as well as lubricated.

Seems like it would trap heat in, one reason you see so many black blocks is it's supposed to dissapate heat better!! You wouldn't want to trap it!!

Gold baby!

My buddy saw a car at an auction with a gold plated block and was told it was for show only the heat would screw the gold if you ran it too long. Might have ment engine parts but the old guy knows his stuff . He said block

Were talking ceramic coating not powder. Ceramic is specifically created to create a heat barrier...whether it be in or out. I dont think that engine blocks really dissipate enough heat to make it being trapped in a problem but thats an expensive risk to take IMO.

Latest posts

Back