Who rents Videos anymore?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAT FINK

Just curious to know since all the major Video Rental chains went bankrupt like Blockbuster,Movie Gallery etc what the movie watching public were doing to entertain their needs...are you still renting from your local mom and pop video store or are you going to kiosks, video on demand through your cable provider, buying your own copies at wallymart,...the theater...chasing your old lady around the house....My wife has her own store and it is still going strong but have heard that other areas are struggling and was just curious what other avenues they were taking?....besides spending more time on RRR.

the vcr died and 4 year old broke dvd player

I just didnt care to replace them. But, the cable company has a recorder box

it's good enough and about twice or three times a year I go to the movies on cheap day

Do they still have rental stores? I thought Netflix killed them...

Actually some of the major studios dropped Net flix and they only rented the older stuff anyway plus I heard they raised their prices as well....Rogers is still a player in the video rental market as well as Movie Experts that has over 500 independants running under that banner so there are still video stores out there...lot of independants bought up the assets of movie galley and block buster and rummor has it that Block buster was trying to restructure...I don't know if the industry is dying or if it is going to make a comeback...all I know is that as of yet it has not affected our buisness...just curious to see what others were doing

We no longer rent any videos as they are so hard to find. Much easier to rent DVD or Blue Ray.

Enough of the wise a&&ery.

We probably rent $30 bucks worth of DVD's per month during December.

During the summer we probably double that. Spring and fall we just watch the tube with maybe a rented DVD once or twice a month.

We rent from our local mom and pop place, we rented there even when Blockbuster moved in and then disspeared.

I also have netflix but only because I can't find very many old movies at the rental store.

Redbox and Netflix don't get the new movies fast enough.

We go to the theatre on Thanksgiving day, the only time we go throughout the year.

The theatre is just to bloddy costly, last week we spent $44 on tickets and $42 on drinks and popcorn. That is almost three months of rentals and dozens of movies.

I don't think the rental market is dead.....yet. I do think it will eventualy dry up and blow away as television will eventually find a way to get the shows to us right away and make it really easy to do so. Think wireless streaming.

I give the rental market no more than ten years.

See, the missus and I are not the average consumer. We have one TV and no cable/satellite service, nor did we get one of those HD antennas. We have Netflix on the odd chance that we want to watch an episode of King of the Hill or something. Just not enough time for us to waste it on TV.

We do have a rental store in our town, and it does seem to be consistently busy.

check out the truckstops. cheap purchase of dvd and i think some do swaps

I used to support the small neighborhood store. The big guys killed him. Then it was Ballbust..., I mean Blockbuster. Now we do the "on demand" thing. Never tried Netflix.

I'd be happy to support the little guy again if he came back. I can't see that happening, the community let him down the first time. :(

Every once in a while we rent from the local mom and pop place, but we just don't watch that many movies..Usually if something comes out we really want to see, just buy the dvd..Have a decent satellite package with dvr but no movie channels..record some of our favorite stuff when its on..hit the theaters once every couple years..my teenage boys go to the theater at least once every couple weeks though..

Tim

Just curious to know since all the major Video Rental chains went bankrupt like Blockbuster,Movie Gallery etc what the movie watching public were doing to entertain their needs...are you still renting from your local mom and pop video store or are you going to kiosks, video on demand through your cable provider, buying your own copies at wallymart,...the theater...chasing your old lady around the house....My wife has her own store and it is still going strong but have heard that other areas are struggling and was just curious what other avenues they were taking?....besides spending more time on RRR.

no I never rent videos I buy what I want to watch, mostly old movies and series, like skyking, dobie gillis, etc, anything pretty much before 1976...all this politically correct and remake stuff just sucks, like the dish network :eek: heck I'm set in my ways,

I dont think Ive rented a movie in a decade. The Walmart $5 bin, The Big Lots $3 bin, and the Best Buy $4 bin make it unnesssary. Why rent for a dollar a day when you can have it forever for a tad more?

Believe it or not....here in town...

Blockbusters shuts down and they open a Family video store in another part of town....the thing is going gangbusters.....not sure why anyone would rent movies with all the other options available.....beats me...[S

Blockbusters shuts down and they open a Family video store in another part of town....the thing is going gangbusters.....not sure why anyone would rent movies with all the other options available.....beats me...[S

Basically our clientel is of low income customers that don't have cable or satalite TV or don't have a credit card to get them...also the cost of going to a theater with a family is outrageous so renting new releases is an acceptable allturnative for most people...as far as downloading pirated movies ...those that have done it say that they wish they wouldn't have do to poor quality and viruses that ended up on their computers that cost them big money to get rid of.....I do know that a company named Family Video bought up alot of blockbuster assets and reopened under that name....I know we have seen alot of changes in the last 25 yrs....yes 25yrs that we have been in the movie rental buisness, everything from movie disc players,beta,vhs,dvd,bluray,3d and game systems from the original nintendo,sega,and now ps3,xbox 360,wiii,...the industry changes all the time and we try and change with it...what the future holds...who knows, but we will keep on renting and changing with the times....I really appreciate all your comments on this topic and keep them coming...I like all the imput that I get pro or con..thanks..RF

Wow!!!! never considered all of that.....

Didn't intend to insult anyone....hadn't considered any of that info...thank Ratfink for giving us a heads up.....guess not everyone has cable.....probably should have thought it out some more....but thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow....seriously...not being sarcastic or such...[P

No Offence Taken!

Didn't intend to insult anyone....hadn't considered any of that info...thank Ratfink for giving us a heads up.....guess not everyone has cable.....probably should have thought it out some more....but thanks for keeping us on the straight and narrow....seriously...not being sarcastic or such...[P

No offence taken...I really appreciate all comments and pro or con it is what it is....I was just wondering if people were still renting since the big guns went broke and where they were renting from....fyi...The so called big players in the rental market basically declared war on each other and back and forth kept offering deals to their customers that they couldn't afford....Show me one car rental buisness that won't charge you if you are late returning their car or not charge you if you don't return it at all....or guarentee it to be there or its free.....they lost millions with this approach and the shareholders put them in recievership....I wonder who the brain surgeon that thought that up was.....NO PROFIT...NO BUISNESS....RF

Latest posts

Back