Got a free s&w 38!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I need some help identifying it though. There are two numbers on it. In three different places it says 75770 and in one spot it has an " n " in front. The other number says u 28423 with a "2" below that. Any ideas what model and/or year on this.

My neighbor came over and gave it to me.

Hahaha... No she's a firefighter here and knows I want my chl but don't have a pistol. It's a five shot with what looks like a four inch barrel. I thought you had to cock the hammer on these but it's automatic.???

I thought you had to cock the hammer on these but it's automatic.???

Hammerless, not automatic.

Those are for people who like to carry in their pocket. From what I understand, so many people shot themselves in the leg and keester with the hammered version, S&W started making that trigger activated hammerless model!

Beercan

they came out with the hammerless on .38s in 1952 -- if youre real interested you can go to barnes and noble look up Jim Supica but the gun may be relatively new -- and not be in the book -- i think it might only go to 2007 but there might be a 3rd edition by now... idk.

also - even though carrying in the pocket is one reason - also consider a purse, briefcase, glovebox -- holster... pulling the trigger on an uncocked gun is quite a bit more work than cocked -- in fact my father was 21 and shot himself in the leg with a .357 - he pulled the gun aimed, cocked it and the wounded (he was a guide and a lady gut shot it ) deer jumped into some brush - and just in the moment didnt uncock the weapon when he returned it to his holster -- when he approached the deer again and went to draw the gun... well - he was in ICU for a while after losing a total of 9 pints of blood. -- entered his outer thigh - through the knee - exited the inner calf a few inches above his ankle.

Does it look like this? This is 638 SW. i just bought one Sunday at a gun show for my daughter to carry.
sw638.jpg

It looks like you have an Air Weight 38 "Body Guard". They are "Double Action" (you don't have to cock it to shoot it). I have two of these (consecutive numbered), they were my grandfather's, he carried one in each front pocket...he was a dude.

TiredIron, that sounds more like it. It does have a hammer you but you can either cock it and shoot or just pull the trigger. I'll post a pic in a second.

Here are some pics. It's definitely been used a time or two. I haven't shot many pistols but want to learn. The last pic is with the hammer cocked. The trigger is so light to pull like this or you can just pull the trigger without cocking it. Anybody have an idea which decade it might have come from. I figure it was just a police revolver or something at one point.

Attachments

• sw_ctg7.jpg
    sw_ctg7.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 30
  • sw_ctg6.jpg
    sw_ctg6.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 22
  • sw_ctg5.jpg
    sw_ctg5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
  • sw_ctg4.jpg
    sw_ctg4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 23
  • sw_ctg3.jpg
    sw_ctg3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 22
  • sw_ctg2.jpg
    sw_ctg2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 17
  • sw_ctg1.jpg
    sw_ctg1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
S&W serial numbers in the N series ran from N1 in 1969 to N97XXXX in 1984. At number N75770 you are looking around 1972-3. This is just a guess but there are web site blogs that can get ya closer.

Griff

Be warned this is not a 38 special. It is a 38 S&W. A shorter, less powerful cartridge that is almost rare. The pistol can be used, but is more of a collector, antique, display item, than a good defense firearm. If you find some ammo, you may want to save it with the pistol. I doubt you can find the ammo on a store shelf, but might be available on the internet.

I doubt you can find the ammo on a store shelf, but might be available on the internet.

These are the cats I use... they're awesome & they ship. If I order in the morning... I get it the next day but they're just up the road a few clicks! I've also been to their facility & it's awesome! They have about 10 guys boxin' stuff up & shippin' it out! I'd hate to be anywhere around if it ever lit up!!! :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

BoB

Latest posts

Back