Anyone using an airplane or jet throttle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 1947 Chevy Fleetmaster 4 dr sedan had a stock "Throttle" cable in the dash. You pulled it out and up went the RPM's. But they stayed there unless you pushed it back in. I always thought of it as an early version of cruise control.
Torchie.

My '46 Chevy pickup had that same pull cable on the dash for the throttle. As I recall, you could pull it out and twist to the right and it would stay. Un-twist and push it back in for normal pedal operation.

Used it once to hold the revs in granny gear to climb a "Jeep-ers" hill on crummy normal street tires, and it just crawled right up!!! Some of them were kinda ticked that these two hippies just drove up their supposedly "bada$$" hill in an old pickup! We stepped out on the running boards and waved goodbye as we crested the top! My first (and only) "hillclimb" to date. And one of my fondest memories and repeatable stories! :D

Man I miss that truck ............... :cool:

My '46 Chevy pickup had that same pull cable on the dash for the throttle. As I recall, you could pull it out and twist to the right and it would stay. Un-twist and push it back in for normal pedal operation.

Made for PTO operation.

Here "on the farm", we refer to it as "Mexican Cruise Control". :p

Hand throttle is a pretty common thing for handicapped drivers without use of their legs, also hand brake controls. I have a buddy who has had a bunch of Hi-po cars with hand controls, including a blown BB powered Camaro that he ran at the drags. People were just stunned when they saw him pull into the pits, get out into his wheelchair and break out the wrenches. No limits to what you can do if you're determined enough.

We used to use the throttle on old Mack trucks for a poor mans cruise control before they came out with the electronic engines. Worked pretty good on the interstate on level ground, just had to remember to leave it loose enough you could push it in quick if you needed to slow down quick.

Latest posts

Back