mig/plasma cart

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJunktionMike

Something's wrong with that boy!
Was board today so built a new cart that would work better in cramped spaces. 4 turning casters makes moving a dream. Now I can move the mig to the back of my shop (hole in the wall but better than nothing) with out having to remove the mig from the cart.

Attachments

• DSC00144.JPG
    DSC00144.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC00145.JPG
    DSC00145.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00155.JPG
    DSC00155.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00156.JPG
    DSC00156.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 46
For the mig I have it does, but if I had the old hobart still It wouldn't. and the frame is light to, I used 2" 20 ga box tubing I had laying around for a couple years.

CD a bungee cord works real nice. The new cart works out real nice, so nice my buddy wants one now. So I built two today add 2" to all sides so other migs will fit, one to put on CL for a little extra cash.

Was actually just working on mine yesterday!!!

2012-01-10_15-13-26_440.jpg

2012-01-10_15-13-37_823.jpg

Despite what everyone thinks, it is not tipsy at all! Put the prop on the front down to the foot and it is stable as can be. Need to put another set or two of cord wrap hooks so it will clean up the back a bit.

There is a spot on it now for the welder cords, but it needs one or two for the plasma cutter. There is a little jar on it to hold extra welding tips and a box with a can of tip dip in it. Also it has room that I could put on another tank of gas or two.

With the pneumatic wheels, it rolls over everything with no trouble at all, it isn't awkward and works just as I want it to.

The other nice thing about it, I too work out of a hole in the wall so it stores easily. So far I am very pleased with it.

That was my first thought...tipsy...but

Was actually just working on mine yesterday!!!

2012-01-10_15-13-26_440.jpg

2012-01-10_15-13-37_823.jpg

Despite what everyone thinks, it is not tipsy at all! Put the prop on the front down to the foot and it is stable as can be. Need to put another set or two of cord wrap hooks so it will clean up the back a bit.

There is a spot on it now for the welder cords, but it needs one or two for the plasma cutter. There is a little jar on it to hold extra welding tips and a box with a can of tip dip in it. Also it has room that I could put on another tank of gas or two.

With the pneumatic wheels, it rolls over everything with no trouble at all, it isn't awkward and works just as I want it to.

The other nice thing about it, I too work out of a hole in the wall so it stores easily. So far I am very pleased with it.

Looks like you've got the weight to both front and rear....how does it handle if the welding cable is pulled tight? I'd be afraid of it going over backwards...not so much forward....but definately thinking outside the box...

Neverdone, sure is alot better then stringing everthing out and packing it from side to side. I was thinking about the same thing once buy didn't have a dolly.

Looks like you've got the weight to both front and rear....how does it handle if the welding cable is pulled tight? I'd be afraid of it going over backwards...not so much forward....but definately thinking outside the box...
That kind of looked a little top heavy to me too. I saw somewhere a guy used a lawn mower deck for a cart. I do like the all in one idea. Especially the 4 wheel swivel deal. I have a HF for my little mig. I think its time to recycle it and build my own. The HF is ok if you dont have to move it much. Little on the flimsy side.:rolleyes:

Sarge it is more prone to tipping forward than back.

Also I have never tipped it in either direction though. On that same note though I know not to tug on it. I can pull it tight and it does not cause an issue. I have had many people question the cart, but so far it has not been a problem at all!!

I actually really like how easy it is to roll around, gravel, grass mud, all of it is no contest!!

Soreback, I have been working off my new cart a couple day now and it works out great. I got the swivel casters for HF, the castiron with rubber rated at 275lb, each for under $6 each.

Latest posts

Back