73 datsun 610 turbo LS1 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
thought I would start a thread on this one as a bunch of members seem to be interested in it. Only the truely sick would enjoy this! I am about 1/2 way done with it but it seems that RRR members don't mind long build times. started with a 54K mile 73 610 that my brother in law gave me for doing work on his 66 volvo 121.
100_2509.jpg

100_2508.jpg

100_2507.jpg

100_2503.jpg

100_2500.jpg

Last edited:
the more I poked the more rust showed up! darned New Engalnd raod salt!
100_2524.jpg

100_2520.jpg

100_2518.jpg

100_2517.jpg

100_2512.jpg

to get it to fit the way I wanted and to put the steering in front of the crossmember, I had to fab up a new lower crossmember. I also (seen in earlier pics) used an 82-92 camaro spindle and strut setup. I did swap it to a coil over setup as well.
100_2564.jpg

100_2567.jpg

100_2627.jpg

100_2621.jpg

Ok, funny story. I thought (key word here!) that I had measured correctly and was not going to have to move the strut tower for the new front suspension. WRONG! 7 degrees of postive camber is not condusive to good tire wear! So i had to cut out both front towers, move them in 3" and back 1.5" and viola! the right setup
002.jpg

100_2668.jpg

100_2670.jpg

100_2671.jpg

100_2669.jpg

as it sits now (I will post pics of the finished floor and cage that I started) the engine and trans are mounted, firewall is done, floor is all patched back together, front 4 points of the cage is done, and I am starting on the rear end. It is a 2000 camaro aluminum LS1 that I bought for a customers project just to use the intake, wiring, clutch etc. So I am in the motor $0. The fresh TH400 w/ trans brake I am in for $121 (balance of what was left from buying and parting out a 71 vega drag car. I swapped the bbody/chassis for the trans). the car I was into $0 (lust labor). The cage is a leftover S10 cage that I modified to fit, the struts were left over from a camaro project that I started and then parted out (I have vehicle A.D.D.). All of the wheels are ebay scores and the only major money I have put out so far is for the 9" rear chuck and the moser 31 spline axles. The housing I shortened my self. I will try and keep you guys posted and am trying (with meds and therapy!) to stay focused on getting this one running BEFORE starting on my 35 shop truck, 50 GMC 2 1/2 ton, pile of 35 truck cabs that I can see a speedster or a tudor being made out of, my chopper.......AARRGGHHH! I really think I am just a hoarder! I just got rid of 7 trannys. I swear! :D

Good stuff--nice fabbing--lots to it. Suprized the body got so eat up!!.. I'm a fan of the 510-610-240s--I have a 510 in my junk and was somewhat involved in a 510 racer as a kid (cousin bought a new hail damaged one and took it sedan racing) Really fun!! They were popular in mini stock dirt till they got used up..

I have used 510 and 260 rear suspensions in T bucket rats--work good in a light car.

Keep us up on the build--good hotrod commin:)..

PA41

Yea the rust was a surprise and at the same time not a surprise. it looked solid but being up in NH we deal with road salt all the time. The surprise was how far under the asphault sound deadener the the rust actually went! But I am hard headed and have stuck with it over the last year.[;)

i used to have toyota corollas back in the mid 80's. always wanted to stuff a V8 in then even then. Here is where I am at as of today. rear end is assembled, 265/50r15 drag radials, and the front 4 points of the cage is done. One shot shows how much of the floor ws put back together. Also the modified and moved tunnel.
family1018.jpg

family1019.jpg

family1020.jpg

family1016.jpg

family1017.jpg

Man, this thing is going to be like getting shot out of a cannon! [dr[dr Your insanity far exceeds mine, awesome job so far![cl

Some how I think we are rowing the same boat! You stuffed a 455 in an ice cream truck! and I'm insane? hahahaha! :D

I just love stuff that is out of the ordinary cookie cutter form. Hence most of my stuff.

What thought process makes a person wake up one morning and say...I think I'll drop an LS-1 in a 73 Datsun. I don't know but I like it. It kind of reminds me of a car I saw at a local show here last year.

Latest posts

Back